General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Temporary loss of power and the check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 10:55 PM
Default Temporary loss of power and the check engine light

I was driving my Accord home from work when I started loosing power in 4th gear. Engine was stumbling and not responding eventhough it seemed to have no trouble reving. I was "babying" it home in second gear at about 2500 RPM when something just popped and it started running normal again with good power throughout the gears. When it did pop, the check engine light came on and has stayed on even though the car seems to run good again. Any ideas on what might have happened? Bad gas? Clogged fuel filter or injectors? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

1990 Honda Accord EX - 5 Speed

Old 11-09-2007, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Temporary loss of power and the check engine light

Since your check engine light came on, I would find out what code was stored on the ECU. Post that CEL code, and we can give you some better info on how to fix the problem.

Here is a link to a site that goes through how to check engine codes. All you need is a paper clip to short the connector. http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/howto/cel.html

A 90 Accord might not have the check engine light flash like the link shows. You might have to pull back the pass. carpet and look at the LED on the ECU to count the flashes.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The 90 Accord is same as later models to obtain DTC's. It can be read directly as PAHonda suggested.

Code is key to problem. The change may have been the ECU switching to open loop control (limp home) due to a severe problem w/ fuel/air metering.

good luck

Old 11-10-2007, 11:03 AM

This morning when I started the car the Check Engine light did not stay on. I removed the passenger side kick panel and found what I believe to be the diagnostic port and used the paper click trick to try and get the codes. The check engine light did not flash at all. So where do I go from here?

Forgive me for my ignaorance, but is the diagnostic port the one the blue one that is not connected to anything behind the kick panel on a 90 Accord or should I be looking for something else?

Thanks

1990 Accord EX - 5 Speed

Old 11-10-2007, 11:26 AM

should be that blue one, did you turn the car to the on position?

Old 11-10-2007, 11:45 AM

Yes, just like described in the link that PAHonda provided.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:46 AM

does the check engine light still come on briefly when you turn the car on to indicate that the bulb is working?

Old 11-10-2007, 11:49 AM

Yes it does.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:52 AM

strange, I suppose as long as everything is working fine now I'd just wait to see if it's going to happen again, if it does now you know where to get the code from.

Old 11-10-2007, 03:58 PM

UPDATE: I have been tinkering with it most of the day. Have not been able to replicate the symtom but I have noticed that it now has an eratic idle and mostly a very low idle even with the AC/Heat on. Check Engine light has not come on again yet. Any more ideas/input?

Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Temporary loss of power and the check engine light