General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Terribly violent shaking, low idle and stalling

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 10:49 PM
Default Terribly violent shaking, low idle and stalling

I've been having this problem for a while now and its been very nerve wracking and annoying. Its been stalling out at idle with extremely low rpms and violent shaking. My car is a 91 accord AT. Here is why I think it has to do with the distributer:

- I discovered that cylinder # 2 wasn't firing at all, leading me to look into the distributor parts of the car. (This must been whats causing the violent shaking). I changed the cap and the rotor - the rotor was burnt out. This did not fix the problem. I also previously changed the spark plugs and wires as well.

- When I opened the distributer cap there was tiny bit of oil / oil residue on the bottom inside the cap. Also the ingition coil looked corroded with a grey corrosion. (I do not know much about ignition coils but this one looked burnt out.)

So I think i've found my problem. The distributer / ignition system. My only question is what I should do, should I replace my entire distributer? I've found a brand new cheap one on Ebay.

Do you guy think Advance can test it for me for free?

Let me know what you all think / know about this, this problem has plagued my car for too long and i've still not figured it out.

Thanks.

EDIT:

THE IGNITION COIL IS MISSING THE SPRING: I am beginning to think its the ignition coil.

Last edited by mishakol129; 11-12-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

Coil maybe ok, test it. Then replace the "spring" and see what you have?

Old 11-12-2011, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Coil maybe ok, test it. Then replace the "spring" and see what you have?
I no longer believe my coil is faulty because I read here that if it was then all of the cylinders would be misfiring, but in my case only one cylinder is dead while all the other 3 are fine. Im going to have to do a compression test and then see if my fuel injector is good.

I'm suspecting that it is indeed the compression in the cylinder rather than just the fuel injector because of the fact that I am burning oil and losing about 2 qts every 200 mi. This is sad news indeed, I don't know what i'm gonna do if it is the cylinder compression, rebuild the engine? - but that's a pain in the neck.

I may just junk the car or look for another engine if its too much to have it bebuilt.

EDIT: Im praying that its just the fuel injector. I'll let you'all know as soon as I replace it with a working one.

Last edited by mishakol129; 11-12-2011 at 06:01 PM.