General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Thermostat - where is it located on V6 engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 06:22 PM
Default Thermostat - where is it located on V6 engine

Hello,

I have installed thermostats before on American V8 cars but I’m at a lost as to where the T-stat goes on my Accord ’97 V6. The Haynes manual is little help. Do I have to remove the Throttle Body to access the t-stat housing?

Please see Hose pic.

Also, as I was trying to determine where the t-stat house I rotated the cable assembly pulley on the throttle body closest to the air filter housing. The next thing I know I have a loose cable. I place the cable back in its slot but notice it is not seating correctly. After examining the assembly I see a peace of the pulley face is broken off. Is this plastic piece available separately? What is its function?

Please see Cable pic.

Thanks and have a safe 4th of July.

Attached Thumbnails Thermostat - where is it located on V6 engine-hose.jpg   Thermostat - where is it located on V6 engine-cable.jpg  
Old 07-05-2009, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I suspect you'll need a new bracket w/ throttle pulley mechanism. I doubt the part missing is separately available. Try car-part.com for a part near your zipcode, and expect to have to buy the entire throttle body to get the throttle cable sheave. It'll still be a lot cheaper than a new assy from Honda.

Check autozone.com for a manual on your car to locate the thermostat. On Hondas the thermostat is usually on the engine where the lower radiator hose returns to engine.

good luck

Old 07-06-2009, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

Looks like it's over towards the left side of the car (left = when you're sitting in the car).

The waterpump #1 must be on the belt-side of the engine, so I guess the long pipe #7 goes under the intake manifold.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:52 PM

That Honda V6 arrangement reminds me of a Mitsubishi V6 I had in a Plymouth Voyager. It's scary the amount of work to access and replace the water pump before you can know if you have a leak at the pump installation. Manual casually mentioned "If any leaks are present remove/reinstall the water pump" like it was a 5 min job. Additionally, the Xover pipe is a blind fit.

good luck

Old 07-07-2009, 09:09 AM

Thanks for the website Texashonda. I was able to locate a local place that had a used throttle body for an Accord V6. The piece I need is highlighted in the drawing. They want $150.00 for the throttle body.

Jim-Thanks for the pic. There's a spark plug cable bracket that has to be removed and a conduit of cable that partially blocks the view. I'll have to see if I can get to it this weekend.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Thermostat - where is it located on V6 engine-throttle-body.jpg  
Old 07-07-2009, 12:31 PM

I would discuss the price w/ your salvage yard, and point out that you can buy one and have shipped for $75 or less. I think a fair local price would be $75-100. I would mail order before paying $150. I've done this several times w/o problems.

good luck

Old 07-18-2009, 12:56 PM

I finally got around to changing out my thermostat on my V6. I only had to remove the bracket holding the spark plug cables and wire harness. I also found it easier to access the t-stat housing by removing the battery and its shroud.

The old thermostat had most of the rubber on the top missing (see pic) compared to the new t-stat (see pic) and the rubber seal on the back (no pic) was hard and flaking off. I put in the new $25.00 Honda t-stat and the car runs much better then before.

TexasHonda,

Finding a V6 Accord was very difficult. I had to ask the last salvage yard I spoke too if he knew of any shops that may handle V6 Accords. The shop he recommend did have the throttle body that included other components not just the bare TB that why the high cost. I wasn't planning on purchasing it in any event without shopping around. I'll hold off on that for now.

Attached Thumbnails Thermostat - where is it located on V6 engine-t-stat-opening.jpg   Thermostat - where is it located on V6 engine-old-t-stat-1.jpg   Thermostat - where is it located on V6 engine-new-t-stat.jpg  
Old 07-20-2009, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for letting us know how it's going.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:09 AM

I feel your pain with the 95-97 V6. Not a whole lot of them running around out there and not a whole lot of replacement parts readily available locally.
I got rid of my 95 V6 on May 21. I actually still have a brand new thermostat for it sitting in my garage... never got around to selling it on eBay because it was so cheap anyway... planned on replacing it but the Ford Edge my wife was looking for came around and we had to buy it so the 95 V6 got traded.