General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Ticking / Rattling Noise During Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 06:20 PM
Default Ticking / Rattling Noise During Acceleration

Accord 95 EXI with F22B3 Engine (For Australia)

The car makes a rattling noise when acceleration from stop or when the speed is low (under 30 KM). may be noise is still there but i cant figure it out. i took the car to workshop and mechanic checked underneath and said nothing to worry about. i thought its exhaust pipe but mechanic said they are all secured. another symptom is when the road surface is uneven and wheel falls into that, a loud metallic collusion noise comes. mechanic said its the strut and nothing to worry about.

my research told me, there is a pipe inside in pipe A. i took off engine heat shield and Pipe A is secured with exhaust manifold. shall i change the gasket of this pipe? its very hard to find the noise solution from description but i am sure the knowledgeable people here would show me right direction. Thank you for your kind help.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:20 AM

See if you can get the car to do it while driving at 1,800 rpms under no load. Doing this up a slight hill, pressing on the gas and keeping it between 1,800 and 2,000 rpms. If you get the "buzzing" noise in this range but it goes away at higher and lower rpms you should have a simple fix.

For the fix it is what Honda techs used to call the 1,800 buzz fix. Remove the A pipe (short one in the front and should have an O2 sensor in it. Replaces the doughnut exhaust gaskets on each side of the pipe and install new spring bolts. That is it. The buzz will probably come back after 100k miles, just replace again. It is a very common issue and Honda released a service bulletin on it back in the 90's.

You should also check the heat shields on the exhaust for vibration and use hose clamps to tighten them down off needed.

Hope this is your fix. Good luck!

Old 08-15-2014, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

This thread has a link to the service bulletin Turtlehead referred to:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...00-rpms-47544/

Old 09-30-2014, 12:22 AM

Mechanic told me shock absorbers are gone. went to a suspension shop and they are confused about the right part.
are the front pair of struts same or different for left and right?
Accord 95, EXI, CD5

Old 09-30-2014, 06:43 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by mortuzahasan
Accord 95 EXI with F22B3 Engine (For Australia)

The car makes a rattling noise when acceleration from stop or when the speed is low (under 30 KM). may be noise is still there but i cant figure it out. i took the car to workshop and mechanic checked underneath and said nothing to worry about. i thought its exhaust pipe but mechanic said they are all secured. another symptom is when the road surface is uneven and wheel falls into that, a loud metallic collusion noise comes. mechanic said its the strut and nothing to worry about.
next time for tire type service ask them to check upper ball joint for wear/play.
In mine it shows up as metal/metal noise on washboarded gravel road surfaces. Till tire service, I'd just drive it.
I'm envious that you actually have acceleration, my '92 is challenged to beat a school bus from the stoplight.

Edit. Also, my '92 w/233,000 miles makes (what you might call a) rattling type noise when accelerating when cold.
Possibly piston slap from all the miles of wear. I'm not going to address it.

Last edited by UhOh; 09-30-2014 at 06:12 PM.