General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tight oil pan drain plug

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Default tight oil pan drain plug

I tried to change the oil on my 2000 Accord (4 cylinder) and was unable to get the oil pan drain plug loose. I bought the car from my parents this summer who had just had the car serviced at the dealership. So not only was the drain plug tight, but the filter too. I managed to loosen the filter, but didn't get anywhere with the drain plug.

In fact, I'm afraid that I may have damaged the drain plug by trying to loosen it. I was using an 11/16" wrench, which seemed like the right size. I tried 17mm but it seemed too large for the bolt.

Anyway, what is the recommended course of action to loosen the drain plug? Am I using the right size wrench? Should I just bring it in to a shop to get the oil change done, and do it myself next time? Will I be able to loosen the bolt with a longer handled wrench?

I'd appreciate any advice you guys might have for me.

Regards,

John

Old 02-11-2008, 02:27 PM
Default RE: tight oil pan drain plug

did you try a 16 on there? Was the socket slipping around the bolt? If a bolt is really tight I've often had luck using a wrench and put it on the bolt, then apply pressure and gently tap the end not on the bolt with a small hammer to generate a little vibration...

Also, if you have a longer handled wrench it may help, just be sure you are turning it the proper direction....

Old 02-11-2008, 02:46 PM

I didn't have a 16mm socket or wrench to try.

The socket/wrench did slip, but I think it was only due to to the angle from which I was turning combined with the force I was using.

The hammer idea is a good one. I may try that next. Thanks for the tip.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:52 PM

go to a pawn shop and buy a 16mm socket and a wrench, even if you don't need them (which I believe 16 is the correct size) it won't hurt to have them on hand

Old 02-11-2008, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Maybe they changed the size but earlier models are all 17mm drain plugs. If he used an 11/16" the bolt head may be rounded. I would try to use a good vise grip to grab the bolt head and hammer on vise grip to loosen if necessary. Replace plug w/ new OEM plug and crush washer.

good luck

Old 02-11-2008, 08:04 PM

all honda oil pan drain plugs are 17mm head. are you sure your not tightening it on accident?

Old 02-12-2008, 08:28 AM

The 17mm socket and head that I used were loose. Perhaps I rounded the head, but I doubt I did that much damage to it.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:43 AM

Finda socket that fits snugly on the plug and use an impact wrench to loosenit. Make sure you're loosening and not tightening.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:52 PM

Make sure you use a 6pt socket rather than a 12pt socket to avoid damaging the plug further and to improve your chances of removing it.

-Also I thought the drain plugs were 17mm, mine is

Old 02-15-2008, 11:57 AM

Any oil change place the car was taken to could have lostthe originalplug,then installed one in there that fit the pan, butwas not a 17mm. If I were you, I would go buy a cheap socket set (Standard and metric) and try sockets until i found the right one. If you still can't get it, I would say take it to a shop, but then you risk the chance of them tightening it back down just as tight as it is now, requiring you to have to go back again....

Quick Reply: tight oil pan drain plug