General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing belt noise when starting car

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 08:54 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Angry Timing belt noise when starting car

A mechanic replaced my timing belt, water & oil pump along with the other things you are supposed to chance when changing the timing belt...so he says. I have a 92' Honda accord, 4 door EX and sometimes when I start the car, it makes a squealing sound. The kind of sound that tells you that something is wrong with your timing belt. I have taken the car back several times to the mechanic and he says nothing is wrong with the belt. He says that will go away in a while...but is been 4 months now. What is the problem then? Why is it making this sound? Also when you are driving the car, you can hear a high frequency noise from the belt I believe. At this point I am about to tell him to either replace everything he put in the car with new parts or refund my money back for all the parts he put into the car so I have someone else fix the car properly.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

A new timing belt can make a light whining sound, especially if it's tensioned a bit too tight. I wouldn't call that "squealing" and it's not just a brief sound at startup.

Squealing makes me think of the external drive belts (alternator, P/S). Not the toothed timing belt.

Are the external drive belts new also? Maybe too loose?

Old 04-16-2010, 10:18 AM

Screeching at start up sounds more like accessory belt.not the t-belt. Check tention on the accessory belts.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:35 AM
Newest Of Newbies

The alternator and A/C belts were changed after the squealing issue, so no issue there.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Tensioner pulley? There's one each on the camshaft-timing-belt & the balance-shaft-timing-belt. Are those tensioner's new?

Old 04-16-2010, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by chillnndc
The alternator and A/C belts were changed after the squealing issue, so no issue there.
Check to see if all the accesory pullys spin freely if one is abnormaly hard to spin it could cause a screach when you start the car then once the belt gets hot enough from the slipage it will grab the pully and force it to rotate.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:57 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Some one else who heard the noise said they thought it was the pulley as well, but the mechanic said he replaced them.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

You can remove both external drive belts & start the engine. Your waterpump is driven by the timing belt so it's safe to remove the external belts. Then you'll know, if it continues to make the sound.

An easier way would be spray some water (windex bottle) on the external belts. You'll hear if that changes the sound. But removing the belts is absolute & certain.

Last edited by JimBlake; 04-16-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks...you are a great help

Old 04-16-2010, 03:39 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

if not the outer belts out of adjustment , could be that the t-belt might be too tight ..

Quick Reply: Timing belt noise when starting car