General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Timing Belt & Water Pump change

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 12:18 AM
Default Timing Belt & Water Pump change

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows if there's already a write up on changing my timing belt & water pump.

BTW I have a 2001 Accord LX, 4dr, 4cylinder.

If there already isn't a write up on this, can someone guide me through this process? Also, I spoke to one of the salesperson at an auto parts place and he recommended changing some other stuff (ie. thermostat, thermostat gasket, radiator hose upper, radiator hose lower) is this correct? Am I missing anything? Please help!

Old 08-17-2006, 02:29 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Timing Belt & Water Pump change

ORIGINAL: Island Accord

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows if there's already a write up on changing my timing belt & water pump.

BTW I have a 2001 Accord LX, 4dr, 4cylinder.

If there already isn't a write up on this, can someone guide me through this process? Also, I spoke to one of the salesperson at an auto parts place and he recommended changing some other stuff (ie. thermostat, thermostat gasket, radiator hose upper, radiator hose lower) is this correct? Am I missing anything? Please help!
there is no write up yet,, i am waiting to see if TONY1m ,, ( doing the t-belt and taking pics , hope he will give us some so i can do a write up with pics ) I would advice to get a service manual www.helminc.com

when doing the t-belt you do need to replace other parts but not what the salesperson suggested.......replace the water pump, cam, crank, balancer shaft seals, valve cover gasket , alt p/s belts ,, no need to replace t-stat unless car overheats and the radiator hoses replace if needed, feel the hoses,, if they feel too soft or crunchy replace them ..

Old 08-17-2006, 05:25 AM

Thanks for the quick response. How would you rate the difficulty of doing these procedures for a person who has very little knowledge about fixing cars? Also, I forgot to mention it's a 5 speed manual transmission Accord. Does that make a difference?

Old 08-17-2006, 10:23 PM

There is one more belt that needs to be changed, the balancer belt. Once you get that damn crankshaft bolt off and remove the pulley it's pretty easy. That bolt sometimes is very hard to take off. I didn't do all the work but that's what I remember.

Change the timing belt is no joke if you never done this before because if all the gears are not lined up at TDC (top dead center) you can mess up alot. There is a little white line on the pulley that tell you where tdc is.

Old 08-18-2006, 02:28 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

if you look at the post written by TONY1m ......

92 accord timing belt replacement,, it has all sorts of pics ans tep by step instructions

your car is a bit different but the set up ot the belt, balancer sahfts , is the same

top dead center alignment on you car is on the crank pulley and the notch on the lower timing belt cover,,

Old 12-08-2006, 05:56 PM

Any updates on the writeup?

Thanks
Anthony

Old 12-09-2006, 09:30 AM

I would like to see a write up on 5th gen accords. That would be nice. I've had my car for a few weeks. Im bad tho cuz i replaced the fluids(tranny, coolant, engine, bled the brakes and new fluid, abs, p/s, and even the winshield washer fluid.) and did a used japan tranny swap. But, i have yet to do the timing belt. im kinda dreading it. I saw all the steps in the haynes manual(i know i know, i wanna c a write up and all, but a write up WOULD be nice, am i right?) and it just makes me wanna say eff it to it all. (the revelance of this post, i really dont know, sorry, kinda out of it.lol)