General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Converter Lockup Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 10:11 AM
Default Torque Converter Lockup Problem?

'96 Accord VTEC, auto, 145k miles. Driving at highway speeds it seems like the Torque Converter continually locks up and then almost immediately unlocks. There is no rhyme or reason to when it will lock/unlock. It may lock going up a grade, it may unlock going down a grade. It is worse when I use the cruise and it doesn't matter when driving on flat road, or in hills. It varies the RPM's by about 200 RPM every time in locks, or unlocks. Any ideas ? Trans fluid is fine and does not smell burnt.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Torque Converter Lockup Problem?

Well the TC should in fact lock up and unlock a cruising speed; The TC is being used
[in lock-up]as energy to run the trans pressure, but can't sustain the energy forever.

The adjustment is the cable that goes from the throttle to the pressure lever on the front of the trans.

Driving test for correct adjustment;

Going along a level road at 25 mph, light throttle...Floor the gas pedal.
the trans should down shift to first gear.

Repeat the same drive at 27-28 mph......Floor the gas pedal
the trans should downshift to second gear.

manual adjustment of the cable;
rest a long screwdriver on the end of the trans pressure lever, hold it uprightwith one hand.
Now with your other hand start to open the throttle.
Just as the RPM starts to increase the pressure lever should just slightly move.

Problems I have seen that cause this: someone has jacked the throttle cable tight to hold the idle rpm up.

In older cars as the differential gets a little minorwear the TC going in and out of lockup is more noticable.

And I know this is hard to understand, but when the RPM goes UP by 200 you are in lock up.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Default RE: Torque Converter Lockup Problem?

"And I know this is hard to understand, but when the RPM goes UP by 200 you are in lock up. "
You are correct, this is hard to understand.

I will run some of these tests and check the adjustment sometime this afternoon.

Thank You