General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission acting a little weird

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 08:13 AM
Default Transmission acting a little weird

Hey guys, been a while since I've been on last. Guess that's a good thing because it means the ol' Honda's been doing pretty good. Lol She just passed 260K the other day. Over a quarter of the way to a million!

Welp, I think the tranny's starting to experience some problems. Not only is there still the occasional bouncing RPMs when cold and coasting in 3rd, but now it seems to be having occasional hiccups when driving down the street. It's only been happening at lower speeds, generally when accelerating to go uphill and it downshifts. It also had a kinda late downshift to 1st when stopping at a traffic light the other day. It didn't go into first until after coming to a complete stop, instead of just before stopping like it normally does. The fluid level and condition is good.

Any suggestions would be great!

Old 08-25-2016, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

I'd have the codes scanned just to be sure the computer is not detecting an issue. You said the fluid condition is good, but when was the last time you changed the fluid?

Old 08-26-2016, 01:10 PM

I changed the fluid about a year and a half ago. Don't remember how many miles were on the car at that time, though.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:12 PM

Okay, so I pulled the codes and there were two. P0705 (range sensor circuit) and P1739 (3rd clutch pressure switch failure?). I'm going to look at the service information for troubleshooting procedures.

Old 09-03-2016, 07:24 AM

Okay guys, so I got to troubleshooting the P1739 code yesterday and when I checked the voltage at the PCM connector with the ignition on, there was just a little less than battery voltage - 11.8V to be exact. Would that still qualify as a no as to whether there is battery voltage or not?

Old 09-04-2016, 12:58 PM

On Friday I cleaned and greased all the PCM connectors and the connector to the 3rd clutch pressure switch and reset the PCM. The codes have not returned as of last night, but I've started noticing that whenever I release the gas to coast, the tachometer will sort of do a little hop like the transmission is disengaging. Is that a normal occurrence or is it indicative of a problem?

Basically the transmission just doesn't seem 100% smooth anymore. I'm going to change out the fluid sometime this week and see if it makes a difference, but I kinda doubt it will.

Any input or ideas?

Old 09-05-2016, 01:01 PM

Bump. Really need some help with it. It's our daily driver and I'm afraid of something happening while we're driving around...

Old 09-06-2016, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

The 11.8 may be battery voltage. What did voltage read across the battery posts when you get 11.8 at the PCM?

As for your transmission issues, I don't know if the behavior is normal, because I never owned an automatic transmission honda.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
The 11.8 may be battery voltage. What did voltage read across the battery posts when you get 11.8 at the PCM?
I didn't check the battery voltage. Not sure why I didn't think to check that. I'll try checking both at the same time when I get a chance. Hopefully this evening.

As for your transmission issues, I don't know if the behavior is normal, because I never owned an automatic transmission honda.
In the research I've done over the last day or two I've seen a bunch of reports about these transmissions being bad, plus other posts on this forum and the other Honda forums seem to say the same thing.

Old 09-17-2016, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
PAhonda, I checked the battery voltage and it read nearly 12.6V. PCM was about 11.9V. I also checked the speed sensors and the countershaft(?) speed sensor seemed to indicate an open in the wiring between it and the PCM. How could that be if the speedometer still works fine? I'm really confused right now. And now the car is starting to feel like it's hunting/stumbling/bucking right after 3rd gear engages and under light throttle.

Quick Reply: Transmission acting a little weird