General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Compatibility?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 09:18 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Transmission Compatibility?

Hey guys, I own a '89 Honda Legend and I want a manual transmission. Unfortunately down here in Australia they didn't really import many Legends with a manual transmission here so I have only come across about 4 on my searches.
However I know there is an Accord which uses a newer version of the Legends engine (C27A1-C27A4) and it has a manual transmission. I also know that with a little bit of modification it will fit up to the Legend engine.
So.... my question is, which year Accords had the 2.7litre (C27A4) V6 engine and does the V6 use the same manual transmission as the 4 cylinder version or are they two completely different transmissions?

Thanks very much for your time.

Kind Regards,
Steve

Old 12-03-2006, 12:08 AM
Default RE: Transmission Compatibility?

what you are going to need to do is look for Acura parts, because the Legends in the US are under the Acura nameplate. look for an 89 Acura legend and you'll find parts that will mount up without modification

Old 12-03-2006, 10:41 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

good luck with that since you can sway a manual legend but if you gotta import parts it is going to get very expensive quick........Acura and Honda parts are pretty much interchangeable if you know what you are doing........

Old 12-03-2006, 10:04 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the replies but I already knew all that.
I just need to know:
1) What year Accords had the C27A4
2) Whether the V6 Accord and the 4 Cylinder Accord shared the same manual transmission?

Thanks very much.

Regards,
Steve

Old 12-03-2006, 11:52 PM

dont know about the C27A4, but V6 and I-4 transmissions are different.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:37 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks very much. I thought they might be, I was just talking with a friend about it the other day who insisted that the V6 and I-4 might share hte same manual transmission.
Thanks for your help.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:33 AM
Default 96 accord v6 manual transmission swap

Ok so I have been trying figure out what manual transmission will bolt up to my 96 accord v6 2.7 , I know that they didn't come with an manual transmission for the accord v6 on that year but I hate automatic and lost reverse a few years back and have been dealing with it because I don't want to just swap for an nother automatic. So my question is what can I look for that will bolt right up to my motor? I believe it has the c27a4 motor but not positive.
Thank you for any help

Old 05-31-2017, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 83Jokerguy
Ok so I have been trying figure out what manual transmission will bolt up to my 96 accord v6 2.7 , I know that they didn't come with an manual transmission for the accord v6 on that year but I hate automatic and lost reverse a few years back and have been dealing with it because I don't want to just swap for an nother automatic. So my question is what can I look for that will bolt right up to my motor? I believe it has the c27a4 motor but not positive.
Thank you for any help
So here's the thing; I get wanting to retrofit your car with a manual transmission, I mean, I really wanted to do the same thing to my 2001 Accord V6 thinking it would take a very competent but boring car to the next level of being at least somewhat fun to drive. Then I went though the logical steps of procuring the parts, swapping the transmission, axle shafts, wiring harnesses, shift linkages and such, and then fabbing up the necessary plumbing for the clutch and interior changes to the console and I realized it would be cheaper from a pure monetary perspective, to simply sell the Accord and buy something similar with a manual transmission. Factor in the weeks which would inevitably turn into months of messing with the project and it was a non-starter before I even finished the shopping list.

In the end I followed my own advice and found a sweet 2006 Acura TL 6-Speed; this of course is a long way of suggesting the same advice to you. Fix the transmission in your car, sell it, and use the proceeds to buy something else with a stick.