General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Accord does not start on HOT DAYS only.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Default 2000 Accord does not start on HOT DAYS only.

I drive a 2000 Accord LX V-Tec 4 cylinder.

I noticed this problem over a year ago, but it is much more of a problem now.

On hot days, when I turn the ignition key, the car starts for about 3 to 5 seconds before it dies. After that, it will not start again. The power is fine and it will try to crank, but there is not any fuel (it seems) to sustain it. In the evening, once the weather has cooled down, it will start again.

A year ago, I worked at 0330 in the morning until 1000, when I would drive to my next job. Although this was a problem then, I was starting my car at 0315 and 0945, so it didn't matter how hot it was later that day. The car was starting in the mornings.

Now, I am in grad school and my schedule is much different. Today, it is 84 degrees and my car will not start.

I am not adept at fixing a lot of automotive things myself, but I would appreciate some guidance as to what to tell a mechanic. Thank you so much.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

It can be one of several items, such as the main relay, the igniter (also known as the ignition control module located inside the distributor, etc. Read these links to see which matches your symptoms the most. Then if necessary, ask questions again and post more of what you may notice after reading the links, to get even a better assessment. I threw in the ignition switch link just in case.

Main Relay Fix, Troubleshooting (Honda, Acura) and how to solder

Honda Acura ignition (no spark) troubleshooting tutorial - How to

How to replace the ignition switch or troubleshoot (Honda, Acura)

Old 04-02-2012, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
It can be one of several items, such as the main relay, the igniter (also known as the ignition control module located inside the distributor, etc. Read these links to see which matches your symptoms the most. Then if necessary, ask questions again and post more of what you may notice after reading the links, to get even a better assessment. I threw in the ignition switch link just in case.
Thank you, Redbull. Now that the heat cooled a few degrees and the breeze picked up, the car reluctantly started. I need to get this taken care of before the triple-digit Oklahoma summer is upon me.