General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission fluid/filter change

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

How do you use a hydraulic pump to pump it out? I'm not too much of a auto-trans expert, but I though it was the torque converter that doesn't drain. I didn't think you could get that to drain by pumping it out of the transmission case.

Anyway, I agree with Tex that you ought to just drain & fill. Like he says, it's not a complete change.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

There is a hydraulic pump in the auto trans. You use it's circulation of fluid through the radiator cooling system to pump old fluid out of trans as you load new fluid in reservoir.

good luck

Old 11-22-2012, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

OK, I know that method. I thought you meant an external pump to suck out the fluid through the dipstick hole.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:17 PM

Wow,thank you all for the info. Do I buy the Honda ATF from a dealer? Or will local parts stores carry it? Looks like when I get my next paycheck I will buy several quarts and start the process of changing it a couple times to get most of the fluid changed. Then maybe start doing one change annually?

Old 11-23-2012, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

There are online sources for Honda ATF, but prices are not much better than local dealer and sometimes worse. Check amazon, rockauto, sponsors of this site, etc for online and call your dealer for a quote.

good luck

Old 11-24-2012, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

So far I have only seen Honda trans fluid in carquest stores, I think they want like $7.99 a quart.

Talk with your local dealer and see if they can/will make a deal on a case of fluid. Since I have a few Honda's with auto trans and change the trans fluid fairly often I buy it in case lots.

Old 07-14-2019, 11:30 PM

Hello, I have heard the same thing... If the fluid is any other color than the bright red color, I heard that it can do more harm than good to change the fluid. But maybe talk to a mechanic or Honda Dealership before you take my word for it. I know a Saturn doesn't compare to any Honda but.... When I had my Saturn, I thought I would do a good thing for the car. I went to the dealer and got the transmission fluid changed. Shortly after that the transmission started acting up. It had metal shavings in it when they changed it. Good luck, I hope everything will be fine with your car!!

Old 07-15-2019, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

If the fluid had metal shavings in it, the damage was already done. Leaving the old fluid in would only delay the problem a little bit.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:25 AM

Thank you JimBlake, That was on my Saturn when I had it.... My Honda is good so far!! :-) Jim, Do you know where the Transmission Filter is located on the 2009 Honda Accord? We just did a drain and fill on the fluid this last Sunday.... Wasn't sure if the filter should be changed or not. It has about 177,000 miles on it, I have not had the filter changed since I got the car about 4 years ago. Thank you, Vicki Nichol

Old 07-16-2019, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

Not sure for 2009. Earlier Accords had an internal filter/screen that doesn't get changed (only when rebuilding). For a short time there might have been something on the ATF hoses going back & forth to the radiator. Or maybe those were aftermarket filters that people have installed.

(I like having 3 pedals so not too much of an expert on automatics)

edit:
I found the filter. It's #4 on one of the ATF cooler lines.

Last edited by JimBlake; 07-16-2019 at 07:02 AM. Reason: found the filter...

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid/filter change