General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission leak - 1998 Honda Accord

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 06:25 PM
Default Transmission leak - 1998 Honda Accord

1998 Honda Accord LX 4 Cyl. Automatic 185,000 miles

2 weeks ago I took my daughter car in due to transmission problems to a reputable transmission place. They said they needed to rebuild the tranny.
We got it back and everything is fine, except that it is leaking red fluid.
I took it back after 3 days and they said the changed the seals on the tranny where the CV axel goes into the tranny. After 8 days, it is STILL leaking, so I decided to check the transmission fluid myself and there was NOTHING on the stick!! I had to add 1.5 quarts before the level was within the range on the stick.

I will take it back on Monday, but my question is, isn't there another seal further in the transmission that may need to be replaced? I have changed CV axels and the rubber seal I see when I put the axel back in is more to keep the dirt out rather than the fluid in. Shouldn't they have replaced ALL seals when the transmission out? Just want to understand what is going on and what my options are. I hope they don't have to take the tranny out again just to replace the seal that I assume must be further inside and not the seal that you can see when you take the CV axel out.

NOTE: Before I took the car in when the tranny had problems, there was no leak.