General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Locked in Park, Brake Lights out

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 12:48 PM
Default Transmission Locked in Park, Brake Lights out

Hey guys/girls I hope someone can help me out here.
My transmission (2002 Accord Coupe SE 4cyl. 4A) is locked in park and my brake lights don't light up. I don't really want to go to the dealership and put anything on my credit card unless it is absolutly necessary to do so. What are things I should be checking as the root of the problem here?

Thank You in advance.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:12 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Transmission Locked in Park, Brake Lights out

The brake light switch that makes contact with the armature attached to the pedal. probe for power and go from there. It could be a fuse. This switch activates the brake lights and releases the "Brake to Shift" solenoid. For temporary useage, if you pull the black plastic trim that goes around the shifter off (pull straight up, 4 clips near corners), you can get to the shift lock release. push the white plastic button and pull the lever to Neutral (E-brake on). You can start the car in neutral and should be able to use all gears, but when you put it in park, it will lock there again. Remember that while driving like this, you have no brake lights, so be responsible.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:34 PM

my buddy clunked his golf clubs into my trunk yesterday, could that have done something?

Old 10-15-2007, 01:49 PM

checked the fuses on the passenger side under the dash, nothing wrong there. Check connections in the trunk, I didn't see anything loose.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:56 PM

check the brake light switch for power. I doubt that the clubs did it since the tranny lock won't disengage.

On mine, I blew out a fuse on the passanger side that was labled "small lights" or something to that effect and had a similar issue.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:04 PM

I can disengage the tranny lock no problem. I don't have any tools here at my dorm to check power at the brake light switch. If it was that, what would I do to fix it?

Old 10-15-2007, 02:31 PM

ORIGINAL: RR_Rex

I can disengage the tranny lock no problem. I don't have any tools here at my dorm to check power at the brake light switch. If it was that, what would I do to fix it?
See if the horn works, they're on the same fuse.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:37 PM

horn works.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:26 PM

good call Chio .... I forgot about that part since I had "other" issues with my horns around the same time. RR, grab a friend to look at the lights. you can unscrew the switch pretty easily and jump the connectors with a paperclip. If the lights work when you do this, the switch is probably bad. When you do this, you should also hear a faint click when the shift-lock soleniod releases.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:25 PM

i'll give that a shot when the sun goes down, it's time for my Other Honda now, the Real 4 cylinders of Fury

Quick Reply: Transmission Locked in Park, Brake Lights out