General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

multiple things going to crap....all at once

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 02:14 PM
Default multiple things going to crap....all at once

ok so it started with a bad trans. cooling hose. it split spraying tranny fluid all over the front of the motor. I got that replaced and cleaned up. well I had to pull the radiator (not the condensor) fan to get to the hose to replace it. after re-installing the fan, the radiator started steady drip/pouring antifreeze out of the bottom passenger side. I pulled the radiator and proceeded to plug the hose holes and fill it with no signs of a leak. so I reinstalled the radiator, began to fill it and lo and behold started the same leak again. then my radiator fan decides it wants stop working leaving only the condensor fan engaging. all my connections are tight and dry, the fan motor is only 2 months old, and the radiator is only a year and a half old.

any ideas on diagnosis would be VERY much appreciated.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: multiple things going to crap all at once

Where is the leak and how did you try to fix it?

As for the radiator fan motor, determine if the problem is with the fan motor or an electrical problem (power supply or ground). Pull the electrical plug and use a volt meter to determine if the fan motor has 12V when the a/c condenser fan turns on. One wire should have 12V to ground and the other wire should always have continuity to ground.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:23 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

could be a bunch of possibilites. maybe fluid leaks from a hose connection, then runs down the hose onto the rad and makes it appear as though the rad is leaking?

more details would be nice, though.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:10 PM

the radiator fan motor decided to strip and gut itself internally, so that problem is now solved, gotta get a new radiator fan motor. what I am still puzzled with is the radiator. no hose leaks, both main hoses are less than 3 months old, and the other heater hoses and such were replaced less than a year ago. I really cannot tell where the leak is coming from, when you put anti-freeze in, a couple seconds later it starts pouring out of the bottom on the drivers side with no visible cracks or holes. thats why i pulled the entire radiator out of the car and checked that way. thankfully I have a loaner car until I can figure out whats going on. if theres anything else specific you guys need lemme know. thanks

Old 09-03-2008, 01:17 PM

Clean it all up really well and put a little laundry soap in your coolant. Look around for the leak with a blacklight. Make sure that you flush it out well afterward though because you probably don't want soap in the coolant when you are actually driving the car.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:08 PM

tried the soap thing, and still cant pinpoint an exact location for the leak. ::shrugs:: Im almost to the point of just buying a new radiator and be done with it.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:49 AM

but if it's a connection, the new rad won't help. Do you see the soap glowing anywhere?