General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission oil cooler lines

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 11:02 PM
Big Tex
Unregistered
Default Transmission oil cooler lines

95 Accord
Okay. So I am a big hack and replaced the radiator and the thermostat, upper and lower radiator hoses today. But I have a problem. I can't remember how the automatic transmission cooler lines hook up. There is an upper and a lower one. I say upper and lower. But I mean as in there position around the engine. The "lower one" connects very close to the front of the transmission kind of above where you check the transmission fluid. And the upper metal pipe connects around back. (As your standing in front of the car looking into the engine compartment.)

There are two spots on the radiator that these hook up to. One is to the right as your looking down in the engine compartment. One on the left. At the very bottom of the radiator.

I hooked them up and drove it around for a while but didn't get any noticeable problems.
I figure there is a fifty fifty chance I got it right.

Any help would be great.
Thanks,
RBB

Old 09-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Transmission oil cooler lines

You shouldn't have any major issues either way, but theoretically if you want the most efficient cooling you want the lowest hose on the transmission connected to the top of the radiator so the fluid stays in the radiator the longest and the cool fluid drains out the bottom of the cooler and spills into the top of the transmission.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:11 PM
Big Tex
Unregistered

Thanks for responding Finch. That makes total sense. But on this one, both of the hoses connect to the bottom of the radiator. I've looked online at manuals. I went to the dealership. I got parts diagrams from Honda while I was there. I can't figure it out.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:25 PM

Well, then it shouldn't really matter as long as the fluid is flowing through it... but, are the boils vertical or horizontal, if horizontal then one of the inlets should run to the top and then what I said above would apply then.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:49 PM
Big Tex
Unregistered

I am not even sure what a boil is. But I imagine that would be true as long as there is not some sort of pumping action going out of the transmission. Beats me I have no idea. But at this point I wish someone would take a picture of theirs and shoot it on over.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:42 AM

He meant coil ..... 1 of the connections likely runs straight up to the top of the cooling coil ..... if so, finch's post applies.