General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission Problem.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 11:57 PM
Default Transmission Problem.

Hello all. My name is Anthony and I am having a problem with my 1998 honda accord EX Sedan, 4Cyl, with Automatic Transmission. The car has 138,500 miles. The same problem has occured at around 30k about the time I had the auto trans fluid drained and refilled. Back then I took the car to the dealer and they said the couldn't duplicate the problem. Again the problem, has come and gone. It s mind boggling to think of why this problem comes and goes as it does. There are no check engine lights lit. Recently the Odomiter Read out needed a light bulb and the d4 shift indicator in the control panel is out and has been out.

In a short paragraph this is the problem:

After about an hour to hour and a half of running in city traffic the car starts to have an acceleration problem. In every gear, the engine races before the transmission engages...from stop to 25MPH, from 25MPH to 65MPH and 30 MPH to 5MPH back to 30 MPH.

Ok now let me tell you about the maintenance:

Religiously changed the Engine Oil and Filter, every 3,000 miles.
Always performed scheduled maintenance (ie: 30k, 60k, 90k, 120k)

I really appreciate your time and effort. I am hoping this problem can be solved w/o a new trans.

Old 04-03-2006, 04:25 PM
Default RE: Transmission Problem.

First off make sure you have the correct tranny fluid in there.... Has it ever given you an idiot light? I'd try to hook it up to a diagnostic computer (in car) and drive around while it's doing it... See if you can find an error code for starters...

Old 04-03-2006, 09:04 PM

the check engine light went on today...and i noticed that it definely goes on when im in city traffic. I will try to get a code reader for the car today. thanks

Old 04-05-2006, 02:38 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

get the code read there maybe a problem with the hydrolic system in the tranny and if there is it will need to be replaced. i do like the idea of making SURE that only honda atf z1 was used in the tranny. other fluids will make it not shift right

Old 04-05-2006, 02:31 PM

Hello All. Thank you for all your suggestions. I have to say that I have a basic problem. The car has been great, but I am at a cross road. The dealer says I need a new transmission (2525 + tax). Does this sound right?

Old 04-05-2006, 03:23 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

thats about what a dealer would charge. you can get it done cheaper elsewhere. maybe getting a used tranny would be a good idea. give LKQ ALL MODELS a call and see what they say about it. if you put some lucas trans fix in there you may be able to extend the life of the tranny for a few more months if you are thinking about just getting rid of it

Old 04-05-2006, 07:03 PM

did you buy this car new in 98? if so you could consider getting some documentation showing you reported the issue while it was under warranty and it was never fixed and never really went away then contact Honda America and ask them nicely to help you out....

Old 04-06-2006, 11:42 AM

As always thank you for your suggestions. Yes I did buy the car new in 1998. Yes I have all documentation of maintenance (especially the trans). I really felt that the dealer dropped the ball on the first go around. I should have let the trans run its course, but being always the type to maintain it I added the Lucas oil to every Oil change since 30k. It helped until now, but it might have failed totally (as it is now) possibly 20k after i reported the problem the first time. I think that getting American Honda involved is a good suggestion. If that gets me nowhere, then I was thinking to put a trans that can handle up to 300hp and strart the metamorphasis of the car to its alter ego. thanks and guess what hope everyone is up for it I have lots of questions when I UPGRADE it...

Old 04-06-2006, 05:43 PM

right on! sounds like a good approach to take to it...

Old 04-07-2006, 03:22 AM
jinkamasaki
Unregistered

I just got a 1993 Accord LX Sedan
It has more than 156,000miles on it...
Automatic Transmission

There are two weird things happening with my car in teh transmission department.
-It is VERY hard for me to shift from Park to anything. I have to litterally pull with all my might to get to Reverse or Drive. Is this bad for my car and is WD40 required and where do I insert it lol?
-My D4 light blinks all day long whether I am on that gear or not. Why is that? Is that bad?
-Is there a specific gear I should drive in when driving in city and highway conditions? I ask this because I remember hearing from a family member that if you are under fifty miles per hour you shoudl drive in D3 and any higher than that drive in D4. Is this true and will different gears really save gas?

----
I remember seeing someone posting something about a HONDA transmission oil...What oil is this and where can I get it. I assume if its from Honda then it is best for the car.
----

You can reach me here, via email or AIM my screen name is jinkamasaki

Quick Reply: Transmission Problem.