General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Turn Signal & Brakes Causing Stalling for 2004 Honda Accord

Old 06-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Default Turn Signal & Brakes Causing Stalling for 2004 Honda Accord

have a 2004 Honda Accord EX V6 with approximately 150,000 miles on it. For the past week, I've been experiencing a problem with the car. It mildy to severely hesitates when I use either my left or right turn signal or even stalls sometimes if I'm travelling under 15 mph. Additionally, when I brake it does the exact same thing. The check engine light began coming on this weekend. Sometimes, it will stall and restart itself while driving other times it completely shuts down - when at a light - and I have to turn the ignition completely off and restart it.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking ignition switch, but I don't want to just change parts. Was happening a couple months ago during braking only and honda could not find anything. Without a code they really don't know much - crazy.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

Well, it sounds like the issue grew up and is now setting a code. Can you get the codes read, some places do it for free, and see what they are telling you?

Old 06-08-2011, 09:42 AM

Thanks for the reply. I am still trying to gather info and make a decision as to what I might be able to do.

I'm not sure if a code will appear as the light goes on and off quickly. I have been using another vehicle and was hoping to have someone share their fix. So far, another person with the same issues said he just got rid of the car, as his mechanic was not getting codes and did not want to just change stuff out. He also had some trans issues, so I don't think he was really into spending much time or money.Another person has not responded to my PM. It is a very annoying situation and I am not the only person who has had the issue, the problem is it seems so few have had it that their is not a answer as yet.

Again, thanks for the reply.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

You best bet to start diagnosing is to get the codes read. Most parts stores, like Autozone, do this as a free service.

You can try starting the car and see if the engine stalls by shaking the key.

When were the spark plugs last changed? What brand did you use?

Old 06-14-2011, 07:51 AM

Thanks for the response. I'm trying to hear from those who had the exact same experience and if they had resolution. I have 5 cars and have restored cars in the past, so I have a fairly good understanding of how things should work, but this is so bizzare that I was hoping someone who had these exact same issues would chime in. Anyway thank you for the advice. I love the car, but is it really frustrating the heck out of me this time.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:32 AM

Dwhite hey have you find out what was the issue cause im having the same issue with my 04 accord.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:09 PM
Default Try Ignition switch!!

Gentelman,

I was recently 10 min. Into a 4 hr. drive home when the exact same thing started to happen to my 2004 Honda Accord (280000 miles). It took a little while to figure out that when I activated either blinker or the brake lights the car would immediately start to die. Being so far from home I didn't want to risk stopping and getting stranded and they where fairly open roads so I pressed on. The challenge was I live in the middle of a big city. So I figured I would put the car into neutral when I had to engage the brakes. Which prevent the car from the huge drag of starting to stall out while in gear. This got me to the exit ramp where I had to engage the brake for about 30 sec. The car eventual died completely them restarted on its own as soon as I let off the brakes and the problem was gone and hasn't returned yet. However I drive frequently several hours a day so I went and seen my independent mechanic who was equally puzzled but called several other mechanics and all of their 1st guesses was ignition switch. So I went by my local Honda dealer spoke with a Honda mechanic he was equally as puzzled but his 1st guess was ignition switch also. Did some research online it's a 30-65 dollar part and looks very easy to put in. I've got one on order and we will see. Sorry pretty long winded but I hope all the details help. Best of Luck!

Old 05-29-2013, 08:40 PM

Hey guys, I am bumping this thread because I do believe I am having the same problem.

Cwzeit, did you get the problem resolved?

My car would not start at all, I got a jump and when I was driving home and began to brake, this car's interior lights started to flicker, and you could tell it was close to stalling.

Got it in my driveway, shut off the car and tried to turn it on on its own power, nothing.
Get the car jumped again, and as soon as I put a little pressure on the brake the car dies.

I bought it from the dealer less then 2 weeks ago so the head service tech is going to call me tomorrow in the AM.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:59 PM

Solved for now. Took it to a Honda dealership, told them that braking was causing the car to stall and then it would not start at all. They ran some diagnostics and found the battery to be in a replaceable condition.

The official description of the problem was described as "Found battery internal shortened and back feeding into system".

They also took care of the power steering hose recall for me, and ordered the parts to replace the other recall issue.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

You figured it out before I even read this....before I saw your second post I was thinking battery or battery connections.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turn Signal & Brakes Causing Stalling for 2004 Honda Accord