General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

v6 timing belt broke

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 05:54 PM
Default v6 timing belt broke

I went to start my 2004 accord Ex V-6 this morning and it only spun but none of the belts turned 135,000 miles. It has recently been starting funny and now it won't start at all. 1st is this an interference motor? 2nd what parts should I replace with the new timing belt?
I am going to start tearing it down tonight, hopefully I won't have to pull the heads and replace valves?
Any help would be appreciated!
Bruce

Old 12-29-2009, 05:59 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You should have heard a loud noise if you hit the valves. If you did really break the timing belt, you'll need to replace the bent valves and possibly machine the valve seats.

Service interval is 105k miles, you were way past due.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

I paid a mechanic i trust to do the timing belt in my 2001. He suggested replacing the serpentine belts (obviously) as well as the water pump since it was right there. He charged me $400 for the timing belt and labor, water pump was at cost and labor was free for it. (Dealership wanted $700-800). I did that at 100k mi. If I have this at 200k, i'll have it done again.

I'm not sure if your engine has the same water pump relationship or not. Really, i don't expect a water pump failure in the first 200k, but in my V6 the access was the same as the timing belt (PITA).

Good luck, and be sure to post pics of the experience!

Old 12-29-2009, 06:47 PM

do you mean none of the serpentine belts turned? if so, you have a bigger problem than the timing belt... if not, disregard this post, lol.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:27 PM
Thumbs down Now I am reallly Pissed!

After taking a closer look at my no start problem, I pulled the starter and the ring gear teeth on part of the flywheel are missing. Other teeth look partially ground off while the rest are just fine.
Its an automatic so I called my local honda dealer and got a price for a new ring gear and was told it cost $669.00 and 3 days to get.
I've been surfing the web to find an aftermarket part and am having no luck.

I will be replacing the timing belt while I've got it apart so I don't have to worry about bent valves.
Any suggestions for finding an aftermarket ring gear & timing belt w/components?

Old 12-29-2009, 08:31 PM

I recently got my timing belt, balance shaft belt, and water pump at Autozone. They likely don't have the ring gear so you may be stuck going through the dealer...

Old 12-29-2009, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

i wouldn't put anything other than a Honda water pump in. I've had Autozone water pumps fail before (granted it was on a Chevy 350 but still, bad taste and all).

Old 12-29-2009, 10:52 PM

I would verify that the motor isn’t seized. It seems strange for a Honda to tear teeth out of the ring gear.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by kris_loehr
I would verify that the motor isn’t seized. It seems strange for a Honda to tear teeth out of the ring gear.
I agree... seems strange.

Water pumps are timing belt driven on the majority of Hondas, all B/C/D/F/H/J motors after like 1989 at least. The reason behind changing them during the timing belt is because an extra $40-100 on the bill is well worth paying for ALL of the labor again if it starts leaking.

Use a Honda water pump, Honda tensioners. You can use Gates belts if you like, but OEM Unitta (Honda) is preferable.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:44 AM

Thanks for your replies. Yes it is strange that the starter would grind the teeth out of the ring gear??? I've had the car for the past 40K miles and it's run like a champ. I never had the starter replaced so a starter alignment issue out of the blue is unlikely?
However, In the past 2 weeks the the car has been making an odd noise when starting like the starter hanging up a little once starting.
I can turn the motor over using the crank pulley bolt and the motor still has plenty of compression, hopefully eliminating the timing belt jumping and bending the valves.

I am still searching for a used Flywheel/Flexplate so if you have any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Quick Reply: v6 timing belt broke