General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dashboard lights (not the Meatloaf song)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 07:46 PM
Default Dashboard lights (not the Meatloaf song)

Working with a 99 with 227k on it. Yesterday the following dashboard lights started coming on all at the same time: the brake light, battery symbol, all the doors and brake lamp. Once I come to almost a stop, they all go off. They come back on once I accelerate again. Seems like they will flicker for a second as soon as I get off the accelerator (if I punch it or rev it).

Replaced about three months ago the battery and starter (just background not sure if connected).

Any ideas what it could be?

Old 06-17-2020, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

Any recent work done on your car?

Having unrelated lights turn on simultaneously points to a potential ground wire issue.

There are several grounds for the gauge cluster. I recommend locating the ground connection, inspect the ground wire and relevant connectors for any obvious damage/corrosion, clean the bolt and eyelet of corrosion with a wire brush or sandpaper to ensure a good ground.

Here are relevant grounds and connectors you should check and clean.

G302 is #1 in the first attachment and is in the engine bay near the driver's side strut top mount.
G401 is #16 in the second attachment and is under the steering column inside the car. Looks like it could be around a lot of wire harnesses.
Brake fluid level switch should come off the brake fluid reservoir. Check the electrical connector. Also check the fluid level and that the float is moving freely inside the reservoir.
Alternator. Check the electrical connector/wiring for corrosion poor contacts.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:05 AM

Thanks PA.
I had a guy install the new starter because I had to work. I know he connected the ground off the starter not to the original site but to another part of the car. Could that be it?
The model of starter I got was slightly different with the wiring so the ground needed to be connected somewhere else.
Dumb question: other than the annoying issue of the lights coming on is one ground being off going to do anything else (like cause the battery not to charge, etc)?

Old 06-18-2020, 12:29 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by hlockquiok
Thanks PA.
I had a guy install the new starter because I had to work. I know he connected the ground off the starter not to the original site but to another part of the car. Could that be it?
The model of starter I got was slightly different with the wiring so the ground needed to be connected somewhere else.
Dumb question: other than the annoying issue of the lights coming on is one ground being off going to do anything else (like cause the battery not to charge, etc)?
I would see about having your alternator checked. It's possible that it's dying. I only say that, as when I ran my 99 once without a belt that dash board lit up like a Christmas tree.
Depends on which ground connection is missing. Body side? Or engine side?

Old 06-18-2020, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

The starter doesn't have a ground cable. The starter grounds through the mating and bolting to the engine block. Please let us know what wire color looks out of place.

I'm not sure if this is causing your issue.

I don't think that having the lights turn on will cause any detrimental issues.

You should stop by a parts store and have them test the battery/alternator/starter to see if you have an issue. It is quicker than running the testing with DIY equipment.

Old 06-19-2020, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
The starter doesn't have a ground cable. The starter grounds through the mating and bolting to the engine block. Please let us know what wire color looks out of place.

I'm not sure if this is causing your issue.

I don't think that having the lights turn on will cause any detrimental issues.

You should stop by a parts store and have them test the battery/alternator/starter to see if you have an issue. It is quicker than running the testing with DIY equipment.
That was my thought too. I can't remember but I think these cars had an ELD as well, that might be setting off the dash lights.

Old 06-23-2020, 06:28 PM

Hi PA, Toe
I was misremembering. Does the battery normally ground to the starter? I feel like what they didn't reconnect was one of the battery grounds because the starter was a little different and they just stuck it on some old bolt on the manifold. So maybe the corrosion under it is causing the bad ground.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

From the shop manual, the - battery cable will ground on the transmission housing. As long as the ground is connected to something metal on the engine block or transmission, then the block will be grounded.

Just look around where the battery is currently grounded to see where the ground should or could be bolted. I would recommend cleaning the ground eyelet and bolting to the transmission. There can't be many bolts where the ground cable will reach.

Old 06-24-2020, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
From the shop manual, the - battery cable will ground on the transmission housing. As long as the ground is connected to something metal on the engine block or transmission, then the block will be grounded.

Just look around where the battery is currently grounded to see where the ground should or could be bolted. I would recommend cleaning the ground eyelet and bolting to the transmission. There can't be many bolts where the ground cable will reach.
Yup, I was just in there on my wife's 00 Accord changing the starter. Only the battery + and the solenoid wires were on it. The ground attached to the trans, and at a body spot too. I only say that, as I had the battery out along with the battery tray to give me some room to swing some tools (for my hands).

Old 07-07-2020, 11:41 AM

The problem mostly went away after I posted here. The dash lights would come on but only very occasionally and then I got caught up with other business.
I went out today and car was completely totally dead, no interior lights, nothing. I'm charging up my jump box right now. The pic below is where the other battery ground is attached. Is that the proper location of it?

Quick Reply: Dashboard lights (not the Meatloaf song)