General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Vibrating Steering wheel at idle/hard shifts

Old 01-20-2010, 07:11 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Vibrating Steering wheel at idle/hard shifts

Ok, so I am a noob here but I looked through all the posts that I thought would include this, but i couldnt find anything..

SO, I just picked up this 92 accord lx sedan. It runs pretty good for having almost 215k on the motor. I got from this elderly guy who barely drove it. He said that he put a new tranny in it 4 years ago (he has owned it for the the past 8 years) and had the timing belt changed at 120k. So this is the quick background.

I have just changed the sparkplugs (not the wires yet), I changed the valve cover gasket and the O-ring spark plug gaskets, and finally the oil.

Here are my issues:

1. At idle, the steering wheel vibrates. Not like, HOLY CRAP its gunna fall off, but just a small vibration that you can see in the steering wheel. Thats the best way I can describe that one.

2. When it shifts, you can really feel it. I would think if it were the original tranny it would shift sloppy. But the shift points are very obvious, almost a little on the hard side. You can feel a little bit of a jerk everytime it shifts. Again, thats the best way I can describe that.

3. When I press the break, sometimes the break pedal goes all the way to the floor, but if i let up just a little and then press again, there is normal break pressure. I WAS informed of this when I got the car, just figured I'd fix it when I got it.

So those are my major issues with the car. I know I've written a novel here but I want to give you the best description possible.

Thank you very much for reading!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-20-2010, 07:17 PM

both 1 and 2 sound like one or more loose motor mounts... you might try a search for motor mount and see if you can find info on checking/replacing them...

3 sounds like either air in the system, or a failing master cylinder...

Old 01-21-2010, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

What's the idle RPM?

Engine mounts: Grab the valve cover & shake it. Any klunking? Unusual motion?

You might also try drain/fill your transmission fluid using Honda ATF. I think I remember stories about harsh shifting when Dexron fluid is used. (I don't like automatics, so I'm not such an expert on them.)

#3 sounds like air in the brake system. Bleed the brakes with fresh fluid.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:01 PM

i have a 95 lx its a 4 cyl the steering wheels also shakes in mine and the tranny shifts hard. i just got a new tranny. from what i know about my car. is thats just how hondas are. rough shifts and shaking wheel. my brake petal goes to the floor every time i brake lol. the first two dont seem to be big issues. in my opinion at least my cars been doing that all its life

Old 01-23-2010, 01:02 PM

and my car idles at 500 rpms when warm otherwise around 800-1500 when not idk what yours is

Old 01-23-2010, 01:56 PM
Newest Of Newbies

my car idles where it should. not to high, not to low. i checked the exact idle rpm but quite honestly, i forgot lol. when i get some free time, i will check the engine mounts. to me something like that should be changed with a car with 215k miles.. im no expert but i guess it makes sense to me.

JimBlake... I totally agree with you. I dont like automatics either. but i needed a car pretty bad after not having one for 4 months after losing my job, so i couldnt be really to picky.

I greatly appreciate all of your inputs and efforts.
I will post updates, just not to sure when that will be.

CHEERS!

Old 01-23-2010, 02:47 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

idle speed should be about 700- 750 rpm........As suggested chk the motor mounts ,mostly rear and frt ,,,,,also ,make sure that the rear mount gets vacuum when car in gear at idle

brake master cylinder needs to be replaced ,it is NOT just air in the system

Also replace the timing belt , it already has 95k on it ..do it as a kit,, belts, water pump, seals , and if one not already there, install the balancer shaft seal retainer

And also chk to make sure that the tranny throttle cable is properly adjusted

Old 01-25-2010, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, I should have said more about the brakes.

If the pedal is immediately soft & low; then pumps up to being hard, that could be air in the system.

If the pedal feels hard immediately when you press it; but slowly & smoothly sinks to the floor as you hold the brakes - THAT's a bad master cylinder.