General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Vibration due to radiator

Old 01-12-2008, 06:28 PM
p_buttar
Unregistered
Default Vibration due to radiator

i feel vibrationin steering when i stopped and radiator fan starts. i tried to turn off ac to make vibration disappear but it does not go away until radiator fan stops.Problem could not be associated to engine mounts as they are new.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:36 PM
Default RE: Vibration due to radiator

Similar problem. It feels like a bad idle right?

Old 01-12-2008, 08:46 PM

on an 03? how severe is this vibration? are you just being picky or is it majorly shaking the car or something?

Old 01-12-2008, 09:19 PM

Sorry to thread jack.

HondatechAV6, you helped me with my problem not too long ago, the one with the overheating because of a faulty thermoswitch. But before the overheating occurred, my car would also vibrate violently (water bottles and coins would start to rattle to a point where the radio is hard to hear).
This only occur in idle. I know its the fan because I can hear them kick in with the radio off.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:33 PM

something is going on here...with the fans off everything is normal? can you duplicate this vibration if you turn on as many electrical loads as you can? can you duplicate the vibration if you spray or pour water on the ignition system(distributor cap, coil(if external) and spark plug wires)?

Old 01-12-2008, 11:48 PM

Hmm,
Do the idle rpm drop when the fan comes on and you get the vibration? I can't imagine the fan itself causing a vibration problem, unless it was out of balance and I find that hard to believe, especially out of balance enough to cause a significant vibration. The only thing I can think of off hand is the electric load from the fan causing the idle speed to drop, but the IACV should take care of that...

Old 01-13-2008, 01:31 AM
p_buttar
Unregistered

i can see the steering wheel shake . its similar to the vibration i had when engine mounts broken but its really less intense then that. first ithought it was ac but it dont go away even turning it off. i was thinking it could be due to 4 clyinder but my friend who has corolla also felt it while sitting on passenger seat.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:46 PM

The car vibrates not because of the movement of the fan. When the fan kicks in, I would idle at around 600+-, then I feel the vibration. As so as I put a but of gas, it goes away(neutral + little gas).

Old 01-13-2008, 04:51 PM

ORIGINAL: p_buttar

i can see the steering wheel shake . its similar to the vibration i had when engine mounts broken but its really less intense then that. first ithought it was ac but it dont go away even turning it off. i was thinking it could be due to 4 clyinder but my friend who has corolla also felt it while sitting on passenger seat.
I'm leaning toward thinking the IACV isn't doing it's job (which is to automatically adjust idle speed when auxilliary loads are placed on the engine, i.e. preventing idle speed from dropping and causing the engine to vibrate or even stall), but if so then the problem wouldn't be isolated to happening only when the fans come on, it would alsohappen when other auxilliary loads are placed on the engine. Does the car also vibrate when:
You turn on the AC?
You use the electric window winders?
Turn the headlights on (especially high beam)?