General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibrations after Replacing Front Mount - Replace All Mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

If the mount doesn't hold vacuum, then something's wrong anyway.

But go through the process of setting the base idle just in case that's the whole problem.

Old 09-20-2014, 04:57 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I just replaced my front motor mount ... still some vibration. I tried R&D with the ebrake on and wheels chocked ... not really any excessive engine movement. Just a good vibration when the engine is in gear.

For the life of me I can't see behind the engine to figure out which of the 3-4 solenoids might be connected to the motor mount. These engines have a lot of clutter and the spacing is really tight, especially in the rear. If anyone out there has already done this on an F22B1 engine and can give me some cheating hints, they will be much appreciated. Otherwise I'll have to get the car back up on ramps tomorrow to give it another try.

Thanks. John

PS: Here's the one I replaced ...

Attached Thumbnails Vibrations after Replacing Front Mount - Replace All Mounts?-img_1203.jpg  
Old 09-21-2014, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

The solenoid for the engine mount is on the drivers side kind of high up....my 97 isn't home right now or I would take a pic.

Attached Thumbnails Vibrations after Replacing Front Mount - Replace All Mounts?-5th-gen-engine-mount-solenoid.jpg  
Old 09-21-2014, 10:15 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Okay thanks, that may be enough. I have a CD7 service manual which has diagrams displaying every solenoid in the engine except for that one (go figure) ... but it does have the troubleshooting steps for the rear engine mount, so I should have enough now to figure out if there is an issue.

Thanks. John

PS: You don't know where I can get a CD5 service manual, do you?

Old 09-21-2014, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

If the pdf manual you have is the same as mine look in section 5, page 28. I have the actual book for a 1995 (thanks to PA) and it is in the same section.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:01 AM
Almost A Senior Member

shoot -- I missed that one. Thanks

Old 09-21-2014, 12:49 PM

@jkowtko - The pic of the old front mount looked just like mine!

Old 09-21-2014, 03:11 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Just checked the car --

* with the engine at low idle, when I unplugged the solenoid. No change in engine vibration -- but I could hear the "exhale" of the diaphram on the rear mount. Plug it back in and and I could hear the vacuum suck up again. I did this repatedly. So, the solenoid seems to be functioning okay, and it sounded like the diaphram on the mount was doing something.

* I then shifted in Reverse and revved the engine. I could see engine rotate forward and the rear plate of engine on top of the mount raise up maybe 3/8" ... I assume this is too much movement and the mount is broken?

It's really hard to see back there, but there is a small viewing window from the drivers side of the car, looking down below the intake manifold. Not much space to see, but I could see the engine lifting relative to the mount.

I'll reconfirm again later before I buy the mount ... but first a little research to see if there are any aftermarket mounts that work well (OEM is pretty expensive).

Old 09-21-2014, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I've never been able to detect a change in vibration level when vacuum mount is actuated.

Movement of 3/8" should be OK. Try looking from Pax side w/ the air intake duct removed and a good light. Mount is easily viewed and any loose pieces or excess movement observed.

good luck

Old 09-27-2014, 04:02 PM
Almost A Senior Member

*** Update ***

I removed the air intake today to get a better look. turns out the rubber is stretching a bit and has micro-tears in it, but still holding on. And the vacuum diaphram works. But the metal linkage is broken -- snapped at the elbow. I didn't expect that part of the mount to fail first.

I'll be looking for a new mount now ...

Quick Reply: Vibrations after Replacing Front Mount - Replace All Mounts?