Go Back   Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums > General > General Tech Help
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-10-2008, 12:38 PM
soyeahitskyle
Unregistered

Default Violent engine shaking?

I bought my 98 Accord LX, automatic, about a month ago, and about four times since then, I've pulled up to a stop light, or came to a stop, and the engine will start shaking really violently. It almost feels like its a manual and its about to die, its hard to explain. Its been happening more and more often. It has 124k miles on it, so I got the timing belt, water pump, and spark plugs replaced, but it still acts up randomly. Like I said, it doesn't happen all the time, but Id like to know if anyone knows whats wrong with it so I can get it fixed ):
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Honda Accord Forum!
Old 12-10-2008, 12:40 PM

Default RE: Violent engine shaking?

sounds like misfires, or bad timeing, check ur distributor replace the plug wires(people tend to over look the wires)
ASE certified in Electrical Systems, Fuel and Emissions, Automatic Transmissions, Manual Transmissions, Steering and stability
Trained and certified for handing and installing SRS componets
Trained and certified to handle R-134a
1999 Accord V6
Old 12-10-2008, 12:42 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Send a message via AIM to finch13

When it starts shaking/shuddering, what are the RPMs at?

Also, a broken engine mount can cause horrible shaking too.

** On the road to ASE Certification **
Old 12-10-2008, 12:43 PM

when mine broke, before i knew, i would slam the glass becasue the on ramp to the highway was really messed up and you had about 10 feet to merge and i would feel a very loud thunk
ASE certified in Electrical Systems, Fuel and Emissions, Automatic Transmissions, Manual Transmissions, Steering and stability
1999 Accord V6
Old 12-10-2008, 12:53 PM
soyeahitskyle
Unregistered

Quote:
ORIGINAL: finch13

When it starts shaking/shuddering, what are the RPMs at?

Also, a broken engine mount can cause horrible shaking too.
whenever it happens, I keep a close eye on the temperature gauge/RPM's, and neither goes up, it just shakes a lot. Would a broken engine mount cause constant shaking though, or intermittent like I described? :0
Old 12-10-2008, 12:54 PM
soyeahitskyle
Unregistered

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Tippman7641

when mine broke, before i knew, i would slam the glass becasue the on ramp to the highway was really messed up and you had about 10 feet to merge and i would feel a very loud thunk
that kinda sounds like it, because it happens after I brake. Although the other day I was at my friends house and we had just installed my spark plugs, so I revved my engine to see if they were working and it started shaking...
Old 12-10-2008, 01:01 PM

open ur hood, push the throatle cable, the engine should have no more then 2-3 inchs of movment, when my mounts where broken it was like 5-6 inchs or movment
1999 Accord V6
Old 12-10-2008, 01:03 PM
soyeahitskyle
Unregistered

theres not too much moving normally, but Ill go check it out and report back later, thanks (:
Old 12-10-2008, 03:33 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
2000 Honda Accord
My Garage

Broken engine mounts are typically noted by the car wanting to peal out every time you move from a dead stop ..... but then again, I blew all 5.
2000 EX-V6 (RIP 3G)
Old 12-10-2008, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

A 1998 automatic 4-cyl has a vacuum-operated rear engine mount. Its controlled to get very soft at idle in P or R. Any other time it goes back to its normal stiffer state.

Test it...
Crawl around & look for the rear mount, buried down between the engine & firewall. Make sure the vacuum hose is connected to it. Find the solenoid valve on the vacuum hose, & unplug the wiring connector.

Warm up the car, have someone put it in DRIVE & stand on the brake. You go up & unplug that wiring plug, or plug it back in. It should make a tremendous difference in the shaking you feel inside the car. If theres no difference, you have narrowed it down to that mount. Now you have to figure out whether its a busted solenoid valve, bad wiring in the car (for that circuit), or maybe the mount itself is bad.
'10 Saab 9sc
Old 12-10-2008, 06:37 PM

Tags
2006, accord, dead, engine, honda, light, moving, normal, revved, scion, shaking, stop, stopped, tc, vibrates, violent, violents