General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Violent shaking taking off in 1st

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 03:24 PM
Default Violent shaking taking off in 1st

Hey guys,

I've been searching for a couple days now, but can't find any answers to my problem. Any input is greatly appreciated.

I have a '99 Accord with high miles and just recently (december) had a new clutch put in.

Since that major service I have noticed an intermittent, uncontrollable shaking in my front end, more specifically the engine (I think). At first I thought maybe I just needed to get used to the new clutch, but it has been almost 6 months now and the problem seems to be getting worse. It always seems to happen when starting from a dead stop, but not every single time. I notice it MOST when I am starting from a dead stop on an incline. The entire front end will shake and sounds like it's going to explode or shake itself loose the noise is so loud. It usually scares me or pisses me off and I'll end up dropping the clutch and I'm on my way. It doesn't stall the car or cause it to drive any differently, but it is extremely annoying and probably not good for the engine at all. WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON?!

I thought maybe I was just not giving it enough gas when releasing the clutch but I have tried stepping down or feathering the accelerator when the shaking happens. The engine revs, but the front end continues to shake and rattle uncontrollably until i drop the clutch. For some reason that seems to be the only way I can get it to go. I have tried re-engaging the clutch when the shaking starts to slowly let it out again but it just shakes each time.

I should mention that the car DOES need a new front motor mount, could this be the only reason for these symptoms?
Or is this crazy shaking just the reason (besides age) that the mount cracked in the first place?

I figured out the motor mount was bad from a bouncy feeling that I get on the highway or other straight, flat roads. The motor mount and bouncy feeling were just discovered within the last month, whereas the shaking has been happening for almost 6 months now.

I have seen no one else with symptoms like mine, so I am hoping maybe someone here has!! Anything helps!

Thanks for reading

Old 04-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Check all of your motor mounts and also the transmission mount.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

It really sounds like chattering clutch. That can happen if oil or grease gets on the new clutch disk. Maybe the flywheel should have been re-surfaced? It's kinda like pulsating brakes when your rotors need to be resurfaced.

Still, you said your engine mount is bad, so you need to fix that to rule it out as the reason for the shaking.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:28 AM

How about your universal joint?

Old 04-29-2012, 05:46 PM
Default Motor Mount

It seems that it WAS in fact the motor mount causing the shaking. Had it fixed yesterday and no significant shaking so far. The engine still bounces a bit because the other mounts need to be replaced as well, but I'm just thankful the violent, embarassing shaking issue seems to be resolved. I didn't realize such a small part of the car could cause such aggressive symptoms!

Thanks again for your input guys!