General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight reduction!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 04:15 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Weight reduction!!!!

So ive searched for countless hours on simple weight reduction tips and what not but heres what i did and feel free to ask questions or comment

I started with a 2000 accord coupe v6

Aftermarket ebay type r seats weigh probably 20 -25 pounds with brackets on so that saved alot of weight espesically considering my hydraulic drivers seat saved over 40 lbs

I removed my steat belts and installed g-force racing harnesses and a harness bar

Now because of the bar i removed my rear seats and weight the 3 peices out to 30lbs

Then i removed the sound dampening material from under my rear seats and sprayed on a cheap can of truck bed liner ... saved 5 lbs

I removed everything from my trunk including tire jack carpet side carpeting and sound dampener pad be sides the obvious tire and jack it was another 8 pounds
Light weight E/H/I/ additional 30-40 pounds ( just guessing never weighed it but the stock components are soooo much heavier than the aftermarket ones )

I love the gutted look but i feel like no one would wanna get in my car and id hear alot of honda jokes but atleast so far ican put everything back stock for resale

If someone wants to weigh their spare and jack add that to my total but hey lighter car is a faster car so good day everyone i hope i helped in your mods please feel free to ask any questions

Old 01-21-2013, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

You are well on your way, but it gets a lot harder from here.

Going to be harder to remove/reinstall and make daily driver more of a chore. I removed my AC, PS, and heater core. As well as basically all emissions components.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:24 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Yea i hear you man i want to remove my a/c but its ****ty for resell value and i kinda wanna keep ps but anyways i agree weight reduction is a great thing but you kinda have to like the racecar look inorder to shed any real weight

Old 01-27-2013, 10:32 AM

I don't know about newer models but my 94's AC bracket alone weighs probably 20-30lbs. It's cast iron for some reason. To remove it you'd need an accessory belt from the base spec model without AC. honestly I wouldn't trip too hard on the resale value, at this point you're probably only going to appeal to enthusiasts anyway so just keep the OEM components lying around.
Also consider removing:
-cruise control unit with cable, brackets and vacuum hoses (5-10lbs)
-Windshield washer reservoir holds about a gallon of water so 5+ all the plastic pieces
-Fender liners
-sunroof replaced with a plastic plate (if you have one)
-gasoline is heavy, so a racing fuel cell with smaller capacity
-changing wheels to some lighter aluminum ones (added bonus of reducing unsprung weight)
-catalytic converter replaced with test pipe
-speakers have heavy ferrous magnets on them so pull your stereo and you save a lot there
-headliner and interior lighting
-door inserts
-lexan replacements for your windows
-stainless or ceramic exhaust manifold typically gives more power and weighs less
-flywheel if you drive a standard transmission, a lighter one will weigh less and rev faster
An important part of weight reduction is distribution of the remaining weight, for instance putting the battery in the trunk, things like that. FWD cars are nose-heavy so whatever you can move backwards is a good idea.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:33 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thats alot of great information thank you