General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1990 Honda Accord makes weird clicking or electrical type sound when I turn key......

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 05:33 PM
Default 1990 Honda Accord makes weird clicking or electrical type sound when I turn key......

My car has been making a weird clicking or electrical type sound when I start car. I had to jump my car first because the battery was dead. A I was charging the battery with jumper cables, I could hear the engine trying to turn over before battery was charged enough, but didn't hear that clicking or electrical type sound. Then after I let the battery charge for a nice amount of time I turned the key on the first try and it started after briefly hesitating to turn start and made that same clicking or electrical sounding noise. Please help. A person told me it could be the starter or the solenoid. I really want to fix it myself and save. Thanks in advance!

Old 07-27-2011, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

First make sure your battery cables are clean and secure. Remove, clean, and reinstall tightly.

If the clicking noise is from the starter, the starter solenoid is worn out. Generally, a new or rebuilt starter is easiest fix.

good luck

Old 07-28-2011, 10:03 PM
Default Can you tell me the proper way to remove my old starter and replace with a rebuilt 1?

Hi, thanks for your help! Can you tell me the proper way to remove the old starter and install a re-manufactured one, plus do you know if starters come with the solenoid? I have sockets and ratchets, but will I need anything else to do it? Thanks for your help

Last edited by letsclique; 07-28-2011 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Want to add another question.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:22 PM

1) Disconnect battery negative cable and secure where accidental contact can't occur.
2) Remove engine wire harness from harness clip on starter.
3) Disconnect larger wire starter cable from starter.
4) Pull small blk/wht wire from spade lug on starter solenoid. Pull straight back.
5) Remove 2 bolts holding starter. You'll need a 3/8" ratchet, short extension, and 3/8"drive, 14-15mm (?) socket. They can be pretty tight. If you have a 1/2" ratchet, 1/2x3/8 reducer, it may help break the bolts loose.

New starter will come w/ a solenoid.

good luck

Old 08-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Default The car started!

I tried to start the car a couple days ago and it started right up! I don't know if it's the starter. I forgot to mention I noticed that white powder looking stuff (corrosion?) where the copper from the positive battery cable was exposed maybe a centimeter where it goes on the the post clamp. When I have the money I might replace that cable or see if I can cut off a little if the cable isn't too corroded. My friend said it might also be the solenoid. Do you know if I can remove the solenoid from the starter or is it permanently attached to the starter for 1990 Honda Accords? Thanks for all your help .

Old 08-10-2011, 06:35 PM

It's separate. The solenoid is repairable. Go to sherco auto supply's website for repair instructions and parts. Not too difficult if you're determined. Most folks simply replace entire starter.

good luck

Old 11-04-2011, 10:40 AM
Default I found it it was the battery and the postive battery cable.

I noticed a lot of corrosion on the positive battery cable and the battery was dead. I cut the positive cable with a saw I bought at Harbor Freight that came with a metal saw blade (Made sure to cut away the rubber around the wire until I saw no more corrosion). Luckily it was a Walmart battery with a 3 year replacement sticker, so I took it to Walmart and they checked it in about 90 minutes and called to say it was dead and that I could come pick up a new battery. I a glad I didn't have to pay 79 dollars for it. I didn't have a receipt so they just needed an ID.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:15 PM

Thanks for posting your fix.

good luck

Old 03-25-2012, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Another post we had to move men..