General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

whatsup with these lights?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 01:27 AM
Default whatsup with these lights?

I'm rather unclear about what the deal is with these front lights on my 92 Accord.

First of all (photo below) this light (and the identical one on the passenger side) down in the lower bumper area. Owners manual calls it front turn signal lights, and indeed both of mine at that location do light/blink (signal) when I activate them with the turn signal lever. But in the following photo where I'm pointing, that particular portion of the lens remains dark (on both). The owners manual shows there is apparently only one bulb inside each of those turn signals, so I'm just wondering why so dark (not lit, ever) at that portion where I'm pointing. That's just the way it's supposed to be, or is something not right?

And, in the next photo, these lights in the owners manual are called "front side marker and turn signal lights/position lights". I noticed mine don't light, anytime. Owners manual shows two bulbs inside that could be replaced. So I guess all mine (four bulbs total) must be burned out. I can understand the purpose of turn signal lights but what is the purpose of "marker" lights or "position" lights. I'll go ahead and try to get 'em all working, but still I don't get what they're there for. Marking? Position? Don't get it. Any comments appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails whatsup with these lights?-img_3242_zps22f0a374.jpg   whatsup with these lights?-img_3243_zpsabd13174.jpg  
Old 12-16-2014, 06:19 AM

The marker lights allow other drivers and pedestrians to observe the vehicle's presence, position, size, direction of travel, and the driver's intentions regarding direction and speed of travel. Your turn signals are fine.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:18 AM

So on these light assemblies, once you get them out (like this):

Then what is the apparent trick it takes to unclip the brownish-colored connector(s) (two of each within each of these assemblies) from the gray-colored socket holder thing as can be seen in following picture? I tried prying/lifting/pulling the tab/clip things on the upper and lower sides of the brownish colored connector but it does not want to cooperate to loosen from the gray colored holder. I don't want to break the stupid thing. Any help greatly appreciated on this.

Attached Thumbnails whatsup with these lights?-img_3263_zpsd41edef5.jpg   whatsup with these lights?-img_3262_zps0c7a5993.jpg  
Old 12-16-2014, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

If you are checking or changing the bulbs, there is no need to disconnect the brown connector from the socket. Just turn the socket out of the lenses assembly. (See attached image)

The front corner lights suppose to flash with the front bumper turn signals, when the turn signal is used. With the headlights or parking lights on, the front corner lights suppose to flash differently than if the headlights or parking lights were off when the turn signals are used.

Attached Thumbnails whatsup with these lights?-bulbs.jpg  
Old 12-16-2014, 11:52 AM

Thanks for that reply redbull-1.

If you are checking or changing the bulbs, there is no need to disconnect the brown connector from the socket. Just turn the socket out of the lenses assembly. (See attached image)
I was going to try as quoted above, but for some reason I have very little, almost none, extra length/slack in my socket wires to pull the assembly far enough away from the dang car to manuever/turn the socket out of the assembly that way. The image attached in your previous post shows like 8 inches of extra wire length it seems; mine has like I said barely any at all. Unless I can manage to get more slack, which I doubt, I think I'm gonna need to be able to disconnect that brown connector somehow without breaking it.

The front corner lights suppose to flash with the front bumper turn signals, when the turn signal is used. With the headlights or parking lights on, the front corner lights suppose to flash differently than if the headlights or parking lights were off when the turn signals are used.
Does any part of these front corner lights (the amber or the white portion) ever supposed to stay on just steady or non-flashing (like when just the headlights or parking lights are on without the turn signals being used)?

Old 12-16-2014, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

With lights on and turn signals off, one of the bulbs at the corner suppose to light as the front side marker.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:54 PM

I didn't get any more slack in the wires. Fought and fumbled with my fingers all cramped up with no spare length to help me deal with it, twisted and screwed with it and managed to get each of those sockets released finally, changed out the bulbs and struggled again even harder trying to get the socket(s) to fit/catch/turn back into the assembly figuring something would surely break during my struggle but it never did. Managed to get all four bulbs changed out and sockets/assemblies reinstalled okay and it all works (marks/blinks/signals/positions flashing differently with headlights on/off as well as non-flashing) like it's supposed to. So we can all sleep at night now. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by sgull; 12-16-2014 at 02:01 PM.