General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Bearing or half-shaft?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 12:20 AM
amyandrew2
Unregistered
Default Wheel Bearing or half-shaft?

I have a 95 accord v-6 and the car started making noise recently. It sounds like a low growl when the car is moving. At first I thought it was an exhaust leak. I took it out for a spin and put it in neutral and the noise was still there. I then was still coasting and shut off the engine and the growling was still there. (it has an automatic, by the way).

I am stumped. Maybe the wheel bearing or the half-shaft cv joint? Does anyone have any insight? There is no thumping like it normally would with a cv joint and the tranny shifts fine. Weird! and annoying.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-15-2006, 12:36 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Wheel Bearing or half-shaft?

sounds like a wheel bearing. if it doesnt click or thump then it isnt a axle

Old 04-15-2006, 12:38 AM

yeah, when bearings go they make all these growly sounds. Probably the bearing...

Old 04-15-2006, 12:39 AM
amyandrew2
Unregistered

Thank you for your advice. I have a busy Saturday ahead of me.

Old 04-15-2006, 12:41 AM

mbo that badge is just dope

Old 04-15-2006, 12:47 AM

haha thanks man. Yeah, if you see a green 96 lx that says turbo that on the back, that's me.

Old 04-15-2006, 01:24 AM

When the wheel bearings go bad, you will only be able to hear the sound when you are going over 30MPH

Old 04-15-2006, 01:32 PM

It could be wheel bearing but .....before you replace the wheel bearing make sure to chk the tires...............I have seen it many times that worn tires cause a howing noise as well...if tires are worn, chopped, replace tires and re test drive......

Old 04-15-2006, 02:05 PM

Also, if the axles are bad usually the sound will be coming from the CV boots/ CV joints. To check these, check the CV boots, if they are torn or ripped or missing then you should replace the axle since if dirt gets into this joint the joint will be chewed up. Even if you change the boot, the dirt will still be in the joints.

Old 04-15-2006, 02:17 PM

ORIGINAL: AgentofDarkness

Also, if the axles are bad usually the sound will be coming from the CV boots/ CV joints. To check these, check the CV boots, if they are torn or ripped or missing then you should replace the axle since if dirt gets into this joint the joint will be chewed up. Even if you change the boot, the dirt will still be in the joints.

If a cv joint is worn it make a clicking noise , most noticable on turns...........And i have to differ with you on, replacing the axle if just the boot is torn......why would you spend 70 dollars for an axle when you can just spend 10 dollars for a boot kit,,?? ( boot kit comes with boot, both bands and grease...) if there is no noise, just clean the axle, repack it with grease and put a new boot.. I have done hundreds of cv boots with no need to replace the axles..

Quick Reply: Wheel Bearing or half-shaft?