General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Belt on '03 accord

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 08:51 PM
Default Timing Belt on '03 accord

Hello everyone,

I am creating this post because I have a concern that I need help with.

Three months ago, I bought a '03 accord V6 EX-L with 173 KM (about 107, 500 Miles).

after bringing it to the mechanic, I realized that a lot of the basic maintenance had not be done (both air filters, and the majority of the fluids).

It has now come to my mind the possibility that the timing belt/water-pump may have never been done as well.

So, my question is this:
Is it possible (or likely) for an accord to go on that long without having either the water pump or the timing belt fixed at least once?

also, is there any way to see if the belt needs to be fixed?

I know this replacement is costly, so that is why I am asking before I decide on whether to do it or not.

P.s. I have also been hearing a slight whining sound coming from the under the hood in the Power steering area. I am not sure whether this has anything to do with the belt or if this sound is coming from the PS system.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by mikenike123; 02-10-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:41 AM

The timing belt is due at 105,000 miles, or 7 years, but there is no way to tell if it's been changed or not. If the air filters had not been changed, chances are, neither has the timing belt.
The power steering noise could be the inlet joint o-ring. Here is a copy of the service bulletin on the ps o-ring.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:24 AM

At least replace the air filters yourself, they're very easy to do. Just search youtube for instruction videos. The timing belt/water pump replacement costs around $800 in my area.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:04 PM

Hello,

Thank you both for your input.

I have already replaced both air filters and the PS & Brake fluids. I just need to focus on the timing / pump and now fixing the o-ring to see if that will resolve the noise.

as for the price on the timing/waterpump, 800 seems quite accurate although it is quite expensive on a student budget. But I guess I will have to assume it has never been replaced and then just take it from there.

Thank you

Old 02-11-2012, 01:20 PM

It is definitely one of the most expensive preventive maintenance items... I have to get it done myself pretty soon.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:27 PM

Out of curiosity, if I were to get the parts myself and then get a shop to install it, would this lower the price in any way?

Or would it be the exact same cost? How much do the timing belt and pump (the parts itself) usually cost for a 03 accord?

Old 02-11-2012, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by mikenike123
Out of curiosity, if I were to get the parts myself and then get a shop to install it, would this lower the price in any way?

Or would it be the exact same cost? How much do the timing belt and pump (the parts itself) usually cost for a 03 accord?
First, I would only use oem parts. Second, it depends what parts you decide to change. Some people change everything, including timing belt, serpentine belt, water pump, cam and crank seals, tensioner, idler pulley, and adjuster pulley. All those parts will cost around $400, even if you get them at a good price (online dealership). A shop can probably get the parts cheaper than you can. I didn't change the seals, and still paid over $300 for the parts. You can probably find shops that will do it cheaper than a dealership will, but do they have experience with Honda engines? Will they do the job right? I changed my timing belt in the driveway, but it was no picnic.

Last edited by EXV6NIGHTHAWK; 02-11-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:26 PM

hey fellas,

I've done a few of these jobs on the 03-07's. you CAN check the condition of the timing belt, contrary to an earlier reply. Both front and rear plastic cam covers (v6) have inspection holes (rubber grommet that lifts up and turns to look at belt). Often this is hard to see into and assess. I recommend removing the front timing belt upper cover. It's held in place with about five 10 mm. Inspect the belt for any cracking, wear, discoloration. If it doesn't look in perfect condition, replace it now and save yourself the money in cylinder head rebuilding or engine replacement down the road (been there, made that mistake). Always do the water pump replacement during this time. Read and re-read the hydraulic tension instructions before removing the belt and quadruple check the timing marks before you crank it... for the younger mechanics the spring action of the cams causes the cam pulleys to snap clockwise (getting the timing marks about one tooth off) so I recommend holding the cams slightly retarded while sliding on the belt, working from crank- clockwise. For the pesky crank bolt- 19mm? if I remember? it can be a bear even with a good quality impact gun. I suggest a good penetrating oil, high capacity air tank, and beer. worst case, I've seen it done to use a 6-pt socket on a bad-*** breaker bar propped against the subframe and tap the starter to loosen it. redneck- but effective.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:01 PM

If this car is the only car you have right now, and you've never done any significant job on your car before, I would think having it done by the mechanics will be safer... Just think of the $800 as an insurance premium, and think about the huge costs that would surely occur later on if you don't replace the timing belt--you should feel better when your wallet takes the hit...

Also, dealers usually won't give you the same warranty if you have them put in parts you bought yourself. So if you go that route, check with them first. And make sure you're not missing out on any coupon/specials... Might have to shop around a bit and see which dealership's got the best deal...

Old 02-12-2012, 08:42 AM

800 seems kind of steep to me. im a professional mechanic and ive done countless timing belt/water pumps on the V6. labor runs 4.5 hours at $70 per hour. parts run about 200 (timing kit with idler and tensioner pulley including water pump)
they are actually an easy job, but not a good idea to try it at home unless youve done them before. variable valve timing makes it tough to get the right bank cam phased properly. my shop actually recommends the honda V6 be replaced at 60K. its an insurance policy and considered routine maintenance. id love to get 800 bucks for that job!

Quick Reply: Timing Belt on '03 accord