General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

where is my ecu

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 01:55 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default where is my ecu

wondering where my ecu is located on a 04 accord and if i can replace it myself

Old 10-21-2011, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Why do you need to remove ECM/PCM?

It can be removed rather easily from under the center console beneath the radio. Remove console side covers, remove ducts, disconnect ECM/PCM connectors, remove 2 hold down bolts, then remove ECM/PCM.

Installation of a substitute may require the Honda Diagnostic System (HDS) to align the immobilizer system and enable starting (pretty important feature!). I don't know of a work-around.

good luck

Old 10-21-2011, 07:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies

i need to take it out because my barometric pressure sensor is dead and is welded to the ecu are you sure its under the stereo

Old 10-22-2011, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Ryan1984
i need to take it out because my barometric pressure sensor is dead and is welded to the ecu are you sure its under the stereo
Yes, it's under the stereo. I used my 2003-2007 Accord Shop Manual to locate.

The barometric pressure sensor is not replaceable (at least according to Honda) and you replace the ECM/PCM to fix this fault.

What code did you get, Pnnnn? Did you reset system and same code returned?

Manual says to update ECM/PCM software before replacing.

You should be able to find a used replacment ECM/PCM via ebay or car-part.com. However, you will need someone w/ a Honda HDS or commerical equivalent to enable starting

good luck

Last edited by TexasHonda; 10-22-2011 at 06:16 AM.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:21 AM
Newest Of Newbies

is driving the car with a bad baro sensor harmful to the car? and how would i update the ecu/pcm through honda for my 3 rd child?

Old 10-22-2011, 06:35 AM
Newest Of Newbies

carpart.com doesnt have ecu/pcm for 04 accord . Have you heard of this site if its reliable or not? Auto Computer Systems | Quality Engine Control units(ECU,ECM,ECC) and Transmission Control units(TCU,TCM,TCC), OEM and R&R Services

Old 10-22-2011, 10:24 AM

I have no idea about the link you posted. Perhaps someone else.

What engine do you have? I saw a few ecms on car-part.com and plenty on ebay. Ebay looks like best source to me.

I doubt the engine will suffer w/ failed barometric pressure sensor. It will likely compensate w/ info from MAP or other sources. However it should be replaced.

Software update may not be worth the trouble. I would use money on replacement ECM.

If you don't have a shop manual, you can get a good emanual from automanualsource on ebay for $21.99. This will have details of accessing the ECM, and checks for the baro pressure sensor.

good luck

Old 10-22-2011, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ryan1984
Just curious, how do you know the barometric pressure sensor is dead? Many times if you get a code related to this you should check for restriction in the air intake first.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Newest Of Newbies

yeah i found a dead mouse in my air filter and removed it got the code reset and it still came back on saying low baro pressure i got the tps and the map sensor replaced 2 days before the baro cel came on its an 04 accord ex 2.4 auto trans. so would the failing baro sensor cause the map or tps sensor to malfunction

Last edited by Ryan1984; 10-22-2011 at 11:50 AM. Reason: not complete
Old 10-22-2011, 11:57 AM

Has the system been reset since the TPS and MAP were replaced?

Exactly what codes were set?

good luck

Quick Reply: where is my ecu