General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Accord Air Conditioner Stopped Working

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 11:48 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2004 Accord Air Conditioner Stopped Working

Thanks to this forum, I was able to troubleshoot and repair the A/C system in my 2004 Accord. Earlier this week, the A/C system stopped blowing air altogether and I immediately thought the worst but hoped it was a fuse. After checking the fuses and swapping relays around under the hood, I hit the Internet and found this forum where I found a discussion on the Blower Motor Resistor. It took some looking to find it, but I have a crappy Hanes manual for my wife's 2003 CR-V that lead me to the firewall on the passenger side of the car. In case it might help someone else, here's a bit of a description:

1. Under the glove box, there's a flexible panel that needs to be removed; just push/pull at one side and it should pop right out. That will reveal the blower motor directly underneath.

2. You'll see the Blower Motor Transistor (that's what the replacement part is called) mounted on the firewall. It's left of the blower motor and close to the center console, and has a 4-wire connector block with a white plastic connector plugged into it. Two phillips head screws hold it in place.

3. Getting the connector off takes a bit of effort. Squeeze down on the tab on top and work it back out. To remove the part, I used a relatively small screwdriver to remove the left-most screw as access to that screw is somewhat obstructed. The part is easily removed once the screws are out.

4. Pop the new part it and replace the connector! Viola! Air Conditioner is back in business! Of course, I plugged the new part in and let it "dangle" first to see if it was the problem.

The part was $65.68 from the Honda dealership ... cheaper than any AutoZone, DAP, etc., quote I got. That said, I'm sure Honda would have charged $200-$300 to "fix" the problem. The same dealership wanted to charge me $425 to replace an O2 sensor on the CR-V ... yea ... literally a 5 minute job and a $140 part (Denso OEM drop in).

I was able to bypass the part to determine that the blower motor was good prior to buying the replacement. I used a clip lead to the car frame to ground the blue/black wire on the blower motor. I had the key in the ignition and engaged all the way without starting the car as I felt this might be required to energize the blower motor relay which provides 12V to the blue/white wire on the blower motor.

Anyway, I hope this description helps the next person that has this problem. In the end, a very easy fix so you can save a good bit of money over having the dealership do the work.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Good to hear. THANKS for posting, informative, descriptive and provided the testing you went thru to find the issue.....We hope the next member/person that searches for the issue will be able to find this and resolve thier issue.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Nice description. Since I wrote something in DIY about checking the blower circuit, I copied your post into that thread.
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ad.php?t=36131

Old 09-20-2011, 08:32 AM
Thumbs up

This was fantastic! Our blower quit yesterday afternoon, and I had an early flight today, so my wife would have had to deal with getting it repaired. At 7:15 last evening I had checked the fuses and then did an internet search (just like in the original posting). Fortunately Advanced Auto Parts has a nearby store open until 9:00, and the part was $60. The only tools needed are a screwdriver and small flashlight!

thanks

Old 09-20-2011, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BillR
This was fantastic! ...

thanks
We love to hear that. It feeds our tremendous egos.