General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 accord doesnt like starting

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 04:20 PM
Default 94 accord doesnt like starting

hey everyone i have a 94 accord lx 5sp 2.2l. a couple months ago my car shut off on me and wouldnt start so i took it to the shop and they said it was the computer, so i replaced it. i got a used one from shipecm.com. then my mom was driving it earlier this week and i cut off and wouldnt start for her. i pushed it to my house. couple days later i tried to start it and it started then shut off 5 minutes later and wouldnt start back up. i was told it was the fuel relay switch so i replaced it and sure enough it wont start. please help thanks

Old 09-17-2011, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

Are the maintenance items up to date like the distributor cap, distributor rotor, and the spark plugs?

When the car is not starting, you need to determine if the problem is due to lack of spark or lack of fuel. Do you have a timing light? That is the quickest way to verify spark.

Does the check engine light turn on while driving? In the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum, there is a link to checking engine codes. Check for any engine codes.

After you check for codes, disconnect the battery and clean all ends of both battery cables with a small wire brush or some sand paper.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:32 PM

i dont have a timing light and the check engine doesnt come on. it does have a new cap rotor wires and plugs im going to check the gaps to make sure they r on point.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

The NGK plugs recommended for your car come at the proper gap setting. Those plugs are the V-power copper plugs ZFR5F-11 that you can get at most parts stores.

If you look at the All members must read before posting, there is a tegger.com link that shows how to pull a spark plug wire and test for spark.

Do you have a volt meter?

Also, when the car will start up, can you get the car to stall out by shaking the key?

I would still check for codes just to be thorough. It is pretty simple to do.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If Check Engine Light (CEL) is on, get these codes (Check DIY forum for OBD1 procedure) and post them.

First step w/ no-start is to understand whether fuel or ignition is source of the problem, no matter what you might think is the problem.

These checks must be done when No-start condition exists. It will do no good to check when car is starting.

1) Turn keyswitch to On. Does the CEL, Alt, and Oil light come on immediately. CEL should go off after 2-3 secs.

2) When keyswitch is turned Off to On, you should also hear a soft click from under the dash and fuel pump in fuel tank come on and run for 2-3 secs. Fuel pump will stop and CEL will go off at same time.

If above 2) checks show all lights are coming on correctly, and you hear the fuel pump run/cut-off, then fuel delivery is likely and ignition fault is likely.

If you're missing the Alt, Oil, and CEL coming on, then ignition switch assembly is likely faulty. Easy diy replacement. See DIY forum.

If ignition is indicated, suggest going to techautorepairs.com/ignition.html for guidance on diagnosing where igntion is failing.

good luck

Old 09-18-2011, 01:24 PM

all except my cel lights come on, and i hear my fuel pump come on and i do have spark.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

CEL should come on when keyswitch is first turned to On and go off after 2-3 secs at same time fuel pump goes off. If you're not getting this combination, you may have an ECU problem.

Check fuses 8 and 9 in under-dash fuse box. Some inconsistencies in manual, but one of those supplies power to the CEL. Replace if bad.

Suggest pulling BackUp Fuse (under hood fuse box, Fuse 39, Inside/Rear row of fuse box) for 20 secs to reset the ECU. If still no CEL, and fuses are good, the ECU is likely faulty.

Check ebay and car-part.com for a used exact replacement for your year/trim accord.

good luck

Old 09-19-2011, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
CEL should come on when keyswitch is first turned to On and go off after 2-3 secs at same time fuel pump goes off. If you're not getting this combination, you may have an ECU problem.
... or a burned-out bulb for the CEL.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:17 PM

Ok I pulled the fuses and they where all good cel still doesn't come on. I jus replaced the ecu a couple weeks ago so I'm thinkin that's good I'm goin to see if the bulb is bad. Ill post my results later