General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Wife put e85 into my 2007 Accord - what do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 01:17 AM
Default RE: Wife put e85 into my 2007 Accord - what do I do?

your right ang lol there is alot of differing opinions... since I have made my car run on pure ethanol with no problems with the lifters, rings, and the such... I vote to just run the tank of gas ASAP, dont let it sit in the rubber fuel lines...

Others opinions on this are that he should drain the gas tank immediatly and not run any ethanol through it. (problem with this is he has already run it through the lines and its sitting in them now, so while he is waiting for an answer the lines are being doused in e85.)

As I am searching through the internet to try to make the right descion on what to tell him, there is the same argument on countless webpages...

BELOW IS A QUOTE FROM E85 FAQ.

What happens if I accidentally fuel my gasoline-only powered vehicle with E85?

Response: Although your vehicle was not manufactured to run on E85, no problems should occur if you mistakenly fuel once with the alternative fuel. The largest difference between an E85 powered vehicle and a gasoline powered vehicle is that their computer modules are meant to read different amounts of oxygen within the fuel. E85 contains a higher amount of oxygen than gasoline and E85 compatible vehicles are made to read that higher amount. When a higher amount of oxygen is read by a gasoline powered vehicle, your "check engine light" may appear. A number of other parts on the FFV's fuel delivery system are modified to be ethanol-compatible. The fuel tank, fuel lines, fuel injectors, computer system and anti-siphon device have been modified slightly. Alcohol fuels can be more corrosive than gasoline. Therefore; fuel system parts have been upgraded to be ethanol-compatible.

Ultimately it is a drivers choice, but we do need to be firm in recommending that only FFVs use E85 and to state that we are not responsible for damages.
so they say, once is okay... dont do it again..and these are the people that want you to buy the new e85 fuel.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:46 AM

they want you to buy it, but they also want you to have an FFV so you can. Just drive the car like normal, get all of that E85 out and refill it with pure gas, for good measure maybe run a bottle of Lucas fuel system treatment because it has an upper cylinder lubricant in it.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:57 PM

It is still possible to siphon newer vehicles. My friends and I talked about this the other day up on our way to HIN Nightshift. With both of them being mechanics at the GM dealer, they said you would have to run something into the tank and hook up a pump to siphon the gas out. I dont remember the full specifics, but it can still be done with more work involved.