General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Won't rev over 3000 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 03:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Won't rev over 3000 rpm

I just recently picked up a 92 Accord LX with the 2.2 SOHC 16 valve. When I start the car it runs a little rough to start with almost like it is misfiring, once you rev it up a couple times then it runs nice and smooth. The biggest problem is it won't rev over 3000rpm. Once you get to 3000rpm it starts to pop like it is misfiring. Someone had changed the plugs,plug wires cap and rotor. I tested the Fuel pressure and it was low so I change the filter and pump and it stills won't rev over 3000 rpm. Anyone have any advice??

Old 06-22-2010, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

After you changed the filter and fuel pump, was the pressure within range?

Also, remove the vacuum hose to the fuel pressure regulator. Turn the key to the II position, allow the fuel pump to prime, turn key off. Do this a few times to pressurize the system. If there is a strong smell of gas on the regulator, then it is likely ruptured and needs replaced.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:48 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Yes after I changed the pump and filter the pressure unregulated is now 46psi and regulated it is 32psi. I did what you suggested and disconnected the vacuum and cycle the key a few times and I do not smell any fuel.

I saw in another thread I guy had a 96 accord that was doing the same thing and it ended up being the crank sensor was cracked. This car is doing the same thing where it rev's up nice and smooth and once you get just over 3000rpm it acts like a rev limiter would.

Originally Posted by PAhonda
After you changed the filter and fuel pump, was the pressure within range?

Also, remove the vacuum hose to the fuel pressure regulator. Turn the key to the II position, allow the fuel pump to prime, turn key off. Do this a few times to pressurize the system. If there is a strong smell of gas on the regulator, then it is likely ruptured and needs replaced.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Does the check engine light turn on when you are driving?

There is a ground connection under one of the radiator hoses at the engine block. You might want to clean up the connection with some sandpaper and tighten it down.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:45 PM

Are you revving it up sitting, or under power? The popping at 3K sounds like misfire. IF it is a misfire, this is not good for the engine. I wouldn't rev it that high with whatever problem you have. Does it miss like this under power? Let us know what you find.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Hey Pete, The engine reacts exactly the same whether you are sitting or under power. It is not a misfire it is more like a rev limiter type of reaction. As long as you don't rev the car over 3000 rpm the engine runs perfect. I acts as if something takes all the power away once you hit 3000rpm and above. I even forced it to rev up to 4500rpm by dropping into a lower gear and when I did this it just slowed the car down. It did not misfire or anything it ran smooth but you could not accelerate.

Originally Posted by Wicked Pete
Are you revving it up sitting, or under power? The popping at 3K sounds like misfire. IF it is a misfire, this is not good for the engine. I wouldn't rev it that high with whatever problem you have. Does it miss like this under power? Let us know what you find.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Newest Of Newbies

The check engine light is on and it looks like it has been on for a real long time because someone put tape over the light to hide it. I tried to check the codes but it will give me any codes. I have tried to get the codes by using a paperclip in the blue test plug under the passanger dash and the check enging light just stays constant. It never blinks at all. Any suggestions on how else to check the codes??

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Does the check engine light turn on when you are driving?

There is a ground connection under one of the radiator hoses at the engine block. You might want to clean up the connection with some sandpaper and tighten it down.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

With a 92 shop manual (DIY section - sticky thread about manuals) you can check the pin=out of the ECU. One pin of the blue connector is ground, other pin goes to the ECU. You can simply use a jumper wire to ground the proper pin at the ECU.

Similarly, check the CEL is wired to its proper pin of the ECU. I think CEL is powered all the time & ECU switches the ground side of the lamp.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

The first thing I'd try is to reset the ECU.
Unhook the battery neg cable for 30 seconds.
Then if you get a CEL again, try to check for flash codes again.
You might wind up needing to replace the ECU.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:14 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

have you checked cam timing ??

Quick Reply: Won't rev over 3000 rpm