Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Cat Coverter/Cat back questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 04:42 PM
Default Cat Coverter/Cat back questions

I tried to find the answers to my questions but have come up empty.

My 1995 ex Accord (4 cylinder 2.2L) 4 door has the infamous 2k buzz. Its the sound that comes from (as many sources claim online) the catalytic converter heat shield.

My plans were to replace the cat entirely with a Magnaflow Cat. Does anyone know if entirely replacing the cat and cat back exhaust system would get rid of the buzz? I would think it would, since they sell "buzz kits" to address this buzz so replacing it should stop the sound at the source.

However, would I need to replace any oxygen sensors in the exhaust system? I looked under my car and saw that there was a sensor before the catalytic converter, and couldn't find any on or after. So if this is true, and my car only has one before the cat, i would be able to replace the cat without worrying about getting and installing new sensors right?

These are the parts I am planning on buying, if anyone has any comments on them:

MAGNAFLOW Catalytic Converter: http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts...0A3046543.aspx

FLOWMASTER Exhaust Cat Back system: http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts...0A3048996.aspx

AEM Short Ram Intake: http://www.autoanything.com/air-inta...0A3048996.aspx

Last edited by benzilla69; 06-23-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:08 PM

More than likely you need to replace the 6 or 8 inch section of exhaust mid pipe. The dealerships call it the exhaust buzz kit. The gaskets on the pipe become worn and they rattle or buzz about 2K RPM. There is a service bulletin on it at the dealerships. Here is the bulletin:

Here is the parts information:
Exhaust mid-pipe fastener kit:
P/N 18010-SV4-305, H/C 5027362
(Kit contains two gaskets, four flange bolts,
four springs, and four self-locking nuts.)

Last edited by corvetteking; 06-23-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:14 PM

Replacing your catalytic converter, WILL NOT get rid of the buzz... Service bulletin above shows what you need to replace and gives part numbers and ect...Those are nice parts you picked out, and go ahead and replace them if you want, but it is not where your issue lies...

Old 06-23-2010, 05:40 PM

thank you both for the fast replies. can I find this kit online or will I have to order direct from honda?

so if I replace this mid section portion with the kit above and proceed to by the cat back exhaust system and the intake am I in the clear?

Old 06-23-2010, 05:52 PM

Just go to google, type in the part number, click on shopping results, and click on the hondapartsnow.com link, the price is $62...
If you do this kit, and/or replace the mid-pipe then you shouldnt have to replace anything else to stop the noise... Anything else will just be up to you...

Old 06-23-2010, 06:06 PM

yeah just found it. thanks for all the help. ill order the parts soon and post back with the results

Old 06-23-2010, 06:29 PM

Your welcome... And do let us know about the results from this kit...

Old 06-26-2010, 11:20 PM

If I got an exhaust header would that include the midsection piece? Would I have to buy a mid pipe section? I'd like to fix the issue, but i'd also like to replace everything exhaust and intake wise rather than have some performance parts and some stock parts.

I was thinking about getting a DC Header, I think the general consensus is that they are worth it. Any thoughts?
http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts...0A3264764.aspx

Old 06-27-2010, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by benzilla69
If I got an exhaust header would that include the midsection piece? Would I have to buy a mid pipe section? I'd like to fix the issue, but i'd also like to replace everything exhaust and intake wise rather than have some performance parts and some stock parts.

I was thinking about getting a DC Header, I think the general consensus is that they are worth it. Any thoughts?
http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts...0A3264764.aspx

If you purchase a header, it will not come with the midsection piece, you would need to get a header that includes a downpipe, which will replace the midsection... Its not the pipe itself that is the issue, it is the gaskets and springs...You could always buy the header and have an exhaust shop do the rest of your exhaust for you...

DC headers are great and definatly worth it... You get a good lasting product with a great finish, although the link you posted is not a product for your car, it is for a v6... You will need a header for a 94-97 accord 2.2l...

Old 06-27-2010, 11:43 PM

Those headers do have a 2.2l 4 cyl option, but I do think you're right, because it says "Two Piece" as an option, which wouldn't make sense.

My thoughts were that if I were to replace the whole mid pipe that would include those gaskets and bolts, which cause this sound.

Anyway, an intake/exhaust system is only as good as its weakest point, right? So wouldn't it make sense to replace everything if possible, rather than a piece here and there.

Quick Reply: Cat Coverter/Cat back questions