Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Helping a honda owner and need help myself

Old 12-16-2014, 10:21 PM
Default Helping a honda owner and need help myself

one eventful day a honda accord 2002 started to surge and loose power and even die a few times, diagnosed as a bad cat, called around and there telling the owner that this is a special engine family because it is a Super Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle the dealer wants around 2k to repair it, not going to happen. I looked online threw CA Carb data base and no where is a aftermarket replacement available its engine family is 2HNXVO2.3FK6 and from what I under stand its the FK6 part that is screwing it over. It is due for smog and currently non oped till a solution is found any honda gurus can point us in the right direction and save some coin to pass this bad boy, it is a cali car its an 02 honda 2.3 SULEV... this is a desperation move as I suspect the only leagel option is to bend over for a dealership and let them have at it. Due to cali law cats cant be sold I tossed out the idea of a doner that is sulev and swapping the whole manifold back but at that point might as well just ditch the current one. sorry for the long winded first post but I hope I can count on the kindness of strangers

Old 12-18-2014, 07:32 PM

Is moving out of California an option?

Here in Texas we can just put on a new aftermarket cat and as long as you don't have any engine codes stored in the computer you're good to go. Honestly, I can't see spending $2k on a car that might be worth 1.5 times that. Might be better off selling it and getting another car.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I see converters on ebay that are advertised as "CARB Compliant". Are these not an option?

Catalytic Converter Walker 81767 California Carb Legal Direct Fit Bolt On | eBay

good luck

Old 12-19-2014, 08:53 PM

Ya if the engine family code matched there would be no problem and the car would have been back on the road $300s ago lol cali checks numbers they could care less what the cat is actually doing, as long as it has the right family engine model stamped on it...this damn state. Thanks for the assist though, moving out of cali is always the best option and I cant wait till I get the savings to do so myself, texas is calling my name lol I advised them to cut there loss and start over but she has a strange attachment to it lol

Old 12-22-2014, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

What if you go to one of the many online Honda dealers and look up the converter, what is the price of that?