Go Back   Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums > Your Ride > Headers, Intake, & Exhaust
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-20-2007, 01:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to pyaarawala
Default Necessary torch when installing OBX headers?

I just purchased OBX headers for my 98 Accord 4cyl, and I was going to install them myself. Thing is, i've heard from a few people that it's necessary to torch out really old bolts used in the factory installation of the exhaust manifold, in order to remove the old bolts? Is this true? I think some bolts down there will be WAY too tight to get rid of and they will be completely rusted, and will need a heat torch to burn and get rid of it. Whoever here has installed headers themselves, can you tell me what tools you used and some obstacles you had to face? Thanks.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Honda Accord Forum!

basic bolt-ons, dropped, several show mods.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:40 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Necessary torch when installing OBX headers?

If you let them soak in PB blaster or WB 40 for a while you may be able to get them with just a wrench. You could also probably drill them out, but its a whole lot easier just to torch them.

I personally didnt even waste time and just pulled out the torch.

2006 Volvo V70R Sonic Blue 6 Speed
1996 Volvo 855R
1993 Mazda RX7 Twin Turbo
Old 05-20-2007, 01:48 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Spray them as many times you can a day for at least 2 weeks in advance. That will help considerably. I used Liquid Wrench.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:12 AM

So I guess I have to use the torch or else I'll have to shower the bolts in WD40 for a LONG time. It's funny how the Meineke guy said that you won't need to torch anything unless something is wrong with the factory exhaust manifold. Anyway, so I'm probably going to have to find someone with this torch? Anyone know where I can find one in Suffolk County, NY and how much they usually charge for doing it? Do the shops that have it actually just torch a few bolts for you?

I was also thinking about just using the WD40 and all the other fluids to help remove rust from bolts. Is it okay to mix all these fluids? Or Just stick with one? Which one's the best? Also, let's say I take off the gasket on my factory header (where it connects to the four exhaust valves in the engine), but realize that the bolts connecting the header to the catback or downpipe are really rusted. How am I supposed to drive it to someone who has a torch who can torch the bolts for me? Do I have to simply put it back on?

Also, do you need a torque wrench of some sort for this installation. I know the big impact wrench (usually used for lugnuts) probably won't fit in certain parts, but do I even need it? Or can I just apply as much torque as I can with my hand using a regular wrench.

Sorry for the load of questions. I just want to know all the stuff I need to watch out for when I install these, although I usually learn a lot by actually doing it, it always helps to have as much background knowledge as possible.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:20 AM

Y'know, I searched on eBay, but is it possible to do the torching myself with something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...;rd=1&rd=1

It's basically a pen-sized flame torch that I can probably use anywhere under my hood. I can do it myself if it's safe. The thing is, is it safe to use this torch anywhere under the hood just like that? Especially on the headers? (well not actually the header itself but the bolts on the old header). Because if I can simply do it myself with a product like the one I just showed you, I'll just buy that torch and do it myself in my own garage. But still, please answer the questions I asked in the last post, it's very important for me.

Thanks.

Old 05-20-2007, 11:13 AM

Mayberent a compressor and some air tools instead of busting your knuckles?
Old 05-20-2007, 08:13 PM

Do you have to use a special machine that cleans off all the gasket metal from the factory gasket BEFORE putting on the new OBX gasket? Is that really necessary?

Old 05-21-2007, 09:32 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Just wear heavy duty gloves...my hand was still fairly bloody.

No pain, no gain....literally.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:06 AM

There areseveral posts on this forum that say NOT to use the OBX gasket that comes with the header. Do a search. Ithink I remember19Accord97 had a heck of a time with the gaskets. I think hewound up having to take off the header and throw out the OBX gasket and get a better one, then put the header back on again.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:49 PM

Alright, I did the search, and found that people bought gaskets from Pep Boys and Autozone. The thing is, what exactly do I need to ask for, am I asking for the gasket sheet that connects the 4 pieces of the header onto the engine head? Or am I asking for the gasket that connected those 4 pipes to the 2 pieces downpipe, since it is an OBX 4-2-1 Header. Or am I getting both?

Old 05-21-2007, 12:49 PM

Tags
1997, 1998, 2003, 93, accord, header, headers, honda, installation, installing, lx, obx, replacing, timing, torch