Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Turbos For an '05 Honda Accord V-6 Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 09:49 AM
Default Turbos For an '05 Honda Accord V-6 Hybrid

I've been bouncing this idea around in my head about putting a set of turbos on the Accord V-6 Hybrid. Those of you who are familiar with the exhaust on this type car, it is a Y-type. One pipe off the engine, the cat., then Y's out into 2 pipes toward the back(phonyduals!)with a muffler on each pipe. I'm looking more for a bit more power than noise, by going turbo.

I would rather talk about a CAI, but can find no one locally who knows beans about pepping up a front wheel drivevehicle like this. If I can't get a surefire intake improvement, then going the muffler route, if that helps, is my second option.

Open for any/all suggestions-

Thanks-

Old 02-05-2008, 10:59 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Turbos For an '05 Honda Accord V-6 Hybrid

Eehh...I wouldnt consider trying to turbocharge a Hybrid.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:15 AM

I know this isn't going to be a ton of help but a quick google for "turbo hybrid car" returned results showing that late in 07 some manufacturers (Subaru, porsche etc....) started kicking the idea around but didn't see if anyone did it.... I'm sure it's possible but I have no idea how you'd do it without screwing with the computer....

Old 02-05-2008, 01:04 PM

Well, I botched the way I phrased the question.

I was referring to turbo type MUFFLERS.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:28 PM

Well, *sigh* anyway, I had a Ford ZX2 a few years ago, a 4 banger. At first, I replaced the muffler with a flowmaster or some kind of loud one. It made it sputter like a rude noise of some kind, and I could tell it didn't have the pep it should. So, I switched to a turbo, and not only got quieter sound, but it helped perk it up. That tells me you can have not enough back pressure, and it could foul a computer a little. That's why I'm wondering about a set of turbo MUFFLERS for the Accord. Sorry I didn't word the original question clearly.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:46 PM

Oh well.

Thanks!

Old 02-05-2008, 05:14 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I think you mean DynoMax's product that is called a Super Turbo muffler. It is an OEM type design with flow enhancing turning vanes. I had one on my first car and liked it. It's a bit louder than stock with a modest gain. I've recommended that muffler to people that want a minor gain and volume increase that feel that the WS2 and SP2 exhausts are either too loud or the tips are too big or flashy.

As far as a recommendation on gains I'd have to learn the design and tuning of the hybrid system and right now I'm struggling to get all the reading in for my new car. If the gas engine provides a direct output to the tranny, I'd say that I/H/E would help, but I expect that the output comes via the electric portion which would require computer tuning to have any effect. There are too many unknowns for me to make a recommendation for you with regards to power output.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:47 PM

That has given me a lot to go on. Thanks, falkore24! I will study about the DynoMax's. True, the hybrid system is still a pretty new technology. Lots of stuff I don't even know about it at all, except what I've read in the owner's manual and internet.

Thanks again-

Old 02-05-2008, 07:50 PM

I stumbled on to an aftermarket site once a while back, for Accord Hybrids and found lots of stuff like a taller intake manifold that would really boost horsepower, it said. I can NOT find that site now. If I had my "druthers", that's what I would "ruther" do, but I may have to just go the muffler route for minimum pep gain.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:10 AM

get a whole catback exhaust system instead of the muffler
i doubt that will mess up the hybrid car
you will feel more gains and the sound will be a lot nicer too

Quick Reply: Turbos For an '05 Honda Accord V-6 Hybrid