Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

whats the best brand for air filter & cabin filter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 08:23 AM
Default whats the best brand for air filter & cabin filter?

I have an 05 accord 2.4l and it has 55000 miles on it...what is the best bang for the dollar on air filter & cabin filter? I know K&N makes good filters but there must be something else fairly closer in quality and a little cheaper?

also...how often should I change my air and cabin filters.....thanks for your repsonse.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:32 PM

I use Purolator Air Filters and Cabin Air Filters, which usually are available at your local auto parts store, Where I am I go to Advance Auto Parts, Purolator Air Filters for our Accords (I have the 4cyl too, mine is a 2006,) is roughly $13.99 and the Cabin Filter is around $17.99. Both very easy to install. I change my air filter every 15,000 miles, and I change my Cabin once a year, usually right before spring time, sometimes sooner depending on how much driving I do. Purolator Filters seem to be just as good as OEM, so that has my recommendation. Hope that helps you out! Let me know if you need any other info

Old 10-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

yeah K & N

Old 08-27-2010, 12:01 PM
Supper Moderator

K&N drop in filter is the best way to go. Yes they are 80bucks but they last 4ever cus they are reusable. Best bang for buck in the long run.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:26 PM
Administrator

I use Bosch. I think theyre just as good and they cost less at AutoZone..
Just my choice, that's all..Iv'e been using the for about 10 or 11 years.

Me to You

Old 09-07-2010, 11:03 AM

Sorry guys, but K&N does not make good filters. Why do you get more HP using one? (supposedly) Because they filter less and let more air in. They are higher in micron then other filters. Its pretty simple if you think about it. More air = More HP = Less filtration.

I would suggest anything but K&N (and Fram, they make crap filters). I worked at a filter company for years. I know filters. All those other brands are fine, its the same filter in the end - Cellulose paper or polypropylene media. Just make sure they meet OEM specs.

And all those people using K&N filters to get more HP. I have a better suggestion, just drive with no air filter. That will be pretty close to dropping in a K&N.

Last edited by g22cd5; 09-07-2010 at 12:40 PM. Reason: plz watch your mouth on the forums
Old 09-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Supper Moderator

LMFAO ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If they are such a "bad" filter why are they the number ONE brand in auto/moto cross/atv ect.????????

Last edited by g22cd5; 09-07-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:52 PM

UMMM because people like you think it increases HP, so they buy it. But the only way to do that is to increase the air flow, and the only way to do that is to decrease the filtration. Think about it.

So less filtration = more particulate throough.

Its not that hard to understand.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:43 PM
Supper Moderator

well dynos have proved you wrong on the HP thing. They do increase HP...that’s not hard to understand.

read this... http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

if you read that it shows that k&n filters really close to OEM. Yes the OEM filter a little bit better but the performance is lacking. In the performance world there is give and take. You gaining more power proven on many dynos.
But the k&n are worth it in the long run. By the time you spend the money on air filters in the time you own the car the k&n would have paid for itself more than once. Like I said there is give and take in performance world. Your let in a little extra particles. But the diff. is so small between the two as shown in the link I shared. Also you can always clean your k&n filter as often as you like to cut down on more particles entering the engine….and it’s free to clean it since it’s a reusable filter.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:08 AM

Well, yes i am saying they DO increase HP because they let more air in.

All I'm saying is this is pretty much the same as taking your existing filter and poking some holes in it. MORE AIR FLOW = MORE HP.

But with more air flow = less filtration = more particulate in your engine. How much more? who knows. Maybe you are right... maybe not much more at all. In the end i guess it doesnt matter.

BTW, a dirty filter will filter more out then a clean filter. The dirt acts as a filter as well, blocking particulate. but then you have more filtration = less air flow = less HP. Just a little food for thought.

A little off topic but my favorite complaint at my filter job was, "UH... the filter you sold me keeps clogging up, what the hell?"

Response, "UHH... that means its working you idiot!"

Quick Reply: whats the best brand for air filter & cabin filter?