Honda News/Reviews Post the latest news from the Honda brand and any reviews or vehicle debuts.

Honda integrating Siri into select models

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 03:38 PM
IB Staff
Default Honda integrating Siri into select models

Filed under: Coupe, Sedan, Technology, Crossover, Acura, Honda, Luxury

Honda has partnered up with Apple to bring Siri to the Accord, Acura RDX and ILX. Owners who have an iPhone running iOS 6 will be able to ask the software to perform a number of tasks via voice command using the vehicle's on board microphone and speaker systems. What's more, the tech will put the iPhone into an "eyes free" mode, which turns the screen off to help reduce distraction while driving. Honda says it has reworked its Bluetooth and HandsFreeLink systems to accommodate the Siri functionality. While the tech will only be available on three of the company's models right now, we imagine it won't be long before it shows up elsewhere.

As you may recall, Chevrolet integrated Siri into its products with vehicles like the Spark and Sonic, but Mercedes-Benz and Chrysler have also toyed with the tech to varying degrees. The seamless voice command seems to be light years ahead of the tech manufacturers are currently playing with. Check out the full press release from Honda below for more information.Continue reading Honda integrating Siri into select models

Honda integrating Siri into select models originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 30 Jan 2013 16:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

Old 02-03-2013, 02:29 PM
Administrator

I like the idea on this..good information...

Old 03-10-2013, 10:27 PM

any updates on Siri Eyes ??

Old 03-30-2013, 05:35 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Yeah...inquiring minds need to know!

Old 07-30-2013, 11:00 AM

I wonder if they have any plans to partner with Android in 2014? Granted, Apple makes a fine product and has a lot of loyal followers but this year, Android has about 70% of the market worldwide. (52% in the US). It is hard to believe Honda would ignore that large a group of users.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:22 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I don't think that any major manufacturer is in the business of making a front-end based on Android code. Apple is doing it because of the cross platform sell they get with the later generation iPads and iPods that have Siri embedded.

Speaking of this...when the heck are we going to see this new code?

Funny thing...my girlfriend has a Hyundai and her BT connection to her phone cuts out after EXACTLY 15 minutes of use. She's had it to multiple dealers and they do the tap dance with the issue. Last night the Glendale, CA dealer claims they installed some updated code and based on a single call, it appears to have worked.

So...it's not just Honda having problems with phones and radios and BT.

Sott

Old 12-12-2013, 10:13 AM
Newest Of Newbies

OK everybody...update incoming!

After many calls and a few emails (BTW, the "Honda people" on Google+ are all fakes and sales-scum), I have an answer to the Siri Eyes Only product integration! (insert drum roll here)

Yes...it's software ONLY... Yes...your local Honda dealer SHOULD have the software right now (December 12, 2013).

I'm dropping my car off tonight for installation tomorrow (12/13/2013). My service writer has copied the 16 page service announcement that the dealer has with it and will give me a copy later this PM. I'll scan it and upload it to this board as soon as I can (school event tonight you know). The preliminary info appears that this connects into IOS7 hooks and it's NOT hardware specific...so if you have IOS7...you should be GOLDEN!

Again, I'll get the documentation and upload it later tonight or early tomorrow and then I'll even do a review this weekend as I play...errr, I mean evaluate the product offering.

OK...almost there!

Scott

Old 12-12-2013, 07:09 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Siri Eyes Only Installation Document

Attached is a partial copy of the Honda PDF document (sorry but size limitations you know) that in its entirety totals 16 pages. This document is meant for the service technicians and it details the installation and testing of the new SIRI EYES ONLY firmware update.

The file that I have uploaded is only the first two pages. This will you with be able to see what the firmware applicability is and how to use the feature.

I'm having the work done tomorrow at my local dealership (almost wanted to run out with the USB stick and do it myself) so I'll let you know after I get the car back how it works. According the attached document, it does appear that Siri has been fully implemented...again I'll check it out and advise later.

OH...almost forgot...Honda is calling this update an "accessory" so they are charging for the installation. My dealership is charging me $62.50...no tax.

Scott

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Siri Eyes Only12122013.pdf (778.1 KB, 538 views)
Old 12-16-2013, 10:27 AM
Newest Of Newbies

OK...sorry about it a little while to post this but the news is not good folks.

The new software / firmware version is installed (2.01.00) and it simply does not work! When I depress the TALK button as per the instructions, I get the standard Honda voice asking me to SAY A COMMAND...if I depress and HOLD the button as per the instructions...NOTHING happens...no Siri...nothing.

I had a technician, what I think was his boss and somebody else from the dealership standing next to / sitting in my car for 10-15 minutes and they agreed...it does not work.

OK, now I get up on my soapbox...this dealership's customer service SUCKS! The technician freely admitted that they have no additional training...no diagnostic procedures...no test equipment...short of confirming that the software says it's there, they can't help me. I had to PRESS HARD for them to commit to making a call to corporate Honda and see if they can come up with something else.

I called Honda this AM and filed a complaint. I'm waiting for somebody to get bad to me.

Scott