New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Clutch pedal stays on floor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 05:53 PM
Default Clutch pedal stays on floor?

Hey guys, new to Honda and this site. I have a 2000 Accord. Driving the other day switch from 1st to 2nd gear, clutch stayed on the floor. I pulled it up with my foot and it switched worked fine 3rd and 4th gear. Should I install new master and slave cylinders or where do I start to diagnose problem? Thanks!

Old 03-22-2017, 11:06 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Tluke74
Hey guys, new to Honda and this site. I have a 2000 Accord. Driving the other day switch from 1st to 2nd gear, clutch stayed on the floor. I pulled it up with my foot and it switched worked fine 3rd and 4th gear. Should I install new master and slave cylinders or where do I start to diagnose problem? Thanks!
First check the fluid level in the clutch fluid resivour. If it's low, top it up with some DoT 3 brake fluid. This is just a start, but we want the jug full so we can find the leak (which caused the pedal to stay on the floor).

Next, look up under the dash at where the clutch master cylinder rod comes thru the firewall, and look for any dampness or wet spots. If you see any, it's time to start hunting down another clutch master cylinder. But, if it's dry in that area, then you need to look at the clutch slave cylinder or the line to it.

I'd first try to bleed the slave cylinder, as you've probably got some air in the system. Once you get the air out, look for any wet spots, to determine where the fluid is going. Keep in mind that it could be at the clutch master cylinder (leaking "O" ring on the line to the slave) on the engine side of the firewall, or at the slave cylinder itself.

There are really only the 2 working parts (master and slave), and a line in between them. Either the rear seal in the master goes (common), or the "O" ring on the output line goes. For the slave, it's usually an internal seal (cup) for the actuating rod.
I hope this helps.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

One thing I've found is the tendency to get air into the master cylinder if you allow the pedal to "snap" quickly upwards. That'll happen if you pull it up with your foot.

I like to loop some string around the pedal. Then I can pull it up while my foot is on the pedal controlling it to pull up without snapping quickly.

Old 03-26-2017, 04:04 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by JimBlake
One thing I've found is the tendency to get air into the master cylinder if you allow the pedal to "snap" quickly upwards. That'll happen if you pull it up with your foot.

I like to loop some string around the pedal. Then I can pull it up while my foot is on the pedal controlling it to pull up without snapping quickly.
Jim, you're talking about for bleeding right? I only say that as I'd hate to have to drive around with a string attached to my clutch pedal for everyday use.

Old 03-26-2017, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Right. The string is only to help during the bleeding process. Or simply trying to get the pedal to work properly after refilling the reservoir. Not for actual driving.