New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

First time poster, long time reader...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 05:11 PM
accordROB
Unregistered
Default First time poster, long time reader...

Greetings,

My name is Rob and I currently drive a '97 Accord LX 4dr. I am the original owner of the car and it was mythird Honda. Before that I owned an '80 Civic, an '88 Civic (loved that body style) and then the Accord.

Up until recently (a few months ago) the Accord was the daily driver amongst a few other cars. I owned three other cars (all Porsches) that included two 928s (an '89 S4 and a '90 S4) and one Boxster (a 2000 model).

I was at one point the President of the Diablo Region of the Porsche Club of America (in the San Francisco Bay Area), their newsletter editor and webmaster. I very much enjoyed the Porsches, but was forced to sell them due to my arthritis. It became painful to get into and out of them and I found myself driving them less and less. I realized that they were worth the most as they ever would be, so I made the decision to sell them all and to just keep the Accord.

Since the Accord now has just 125K miles on it, runs well (always has...) and gets the best gas mileage I haven't been too sad about the whole thing.

Anyhow, enough of my background. I look forward to participating in this forum and hearing from other Accord owners.

Thanks for listening.

Rob

Old 05-02-2008, 05:15 PM
Default RE: First time poster, long time reader...

Thanks for joining Rob, sounds like you've got a good background in cars... One thing I'll mention (that you may already know...) is that if you haven't ever done the timing belt on that accord it's about due for a change... Did you do the work yourself on the porche's?

Old 05-02-2008, 05:33 PM
accordROB
Unregistered

I did some of the work myself on the Porsches. Unbelievably, with the older front-engined Porsches, a good percentage of the shops who work on Porsches... refuse to work on them. The more "classic" Porsches are the more favorable ones to work on.

As as owner, you really learn to value the online forums, car-specific clubs and any other local owners. With the 928s, you quickly learn those things and the 928 is one car that is very timing-belt sensitive. Its about eight feet long.

I already am scheduling some time in the coming weeks for changing out the belts (and various other items) on the Accord.

Rob

Old 05-02-2008, 05:38 PM

WOW! I didn't realize they were that long... I actually almost bought a 928 once but I couldn't come up with the cash fast enough.... I personally like those cars quite a bit but I would love to have a T-Top kharmaghia (sp?) with a porsche engine...

Old 05-02-2008, 11:37 PM
Administrator

Hi there new Honda Member..Welcome to the HAf...
Glad to have you here with us..

WheelBrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 05-04-2008, 09:25 PM

Welcome to the site. Some day I hope to also call myself a Porsche owner. I have said for MANY years "Some day I will own a Porsche. It may not be the newest or the nicest, but some day...."

Old 05-05-2008, 10:00 AM

Welcome aboard. Looking forward to hearing from you more.