New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New user, questions on gen+

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

"Toe" - don't flush it. Do a drain and fill. Next time you change the oil in it, get ~3 qts of Honda Trans fluid. Pull the trans drain plug, let it drain. Clean the drain plug and the install. Re-fill with with fresh fluid and call it a day.

Yes, the 6th gen's seem to have more issues with the auto trans than the other generations. There is an issue with the design in the valve body that allow a "check valve" to stick and will cut flow of trans fluid to the cooler at rpm's less than ~1,200. There are "kits" that are installed, or should be, if the trans has to be rebuilt.

Just think, I've got a 2016 Honda that had to have the trans replaced with lless than 23K miles

Old 12-14-2016, 10:54 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by poorman212
"Toe" - don't flush it. Do a drain and fill. Next time you change the oil in it, get ~3 qts of Honda Trans fluid. Pull the trans drain plug, let it drain. Clean the drain plug and the install. Re-fill with with fresh fluid and call it a day.

Yes, the 6th gen's seem to have more issues with the auto trans than the other generations. There is an issue with the design in the valve body that allow a "check valve" to stick and will cut flow of trans fluid to the cooler at rpm's less than ~1,200. There are "kits" that are installed, or should be, if the trans has to be rebuilt.

Just think, I've got a 2016 Honda that had to have the trans replaced with lless than 23K miles
Yeah, that's what I meant by flush (drain and refill). But, is rebuilding the trans something I'd want the dealer to do, or can I take to my usual trans rebuilder (he's done several AT's over the years for me and my friends). I know I'd be pulling it out, and taking it in, as I really don't like paying extra for that operation. How would I know if someone has already been inside the existing trans? Any kind of tell-tales? I do know it's fairly clean under the hood, but then I figure it's mostly seen highway miles over the years prior to us getting it.

Now that sucks, having a trans rebuilt on such a new car so soon.

Old 12-15-2016, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

IF you have to have it re-built, a local trans shop will be fine. I doubt dealerships actually re-build them "in-house" anymore, they will get one rebuilt from their supplier. If you have to have it re-built, PM me and I will send a link to an article from a trans trade new group talking about the issue many of the 6th gen's had/have. Knowledge and or information when going into something is always nice

Hard to say look for X and you will know "someone" has been in there.....best I can say is look at the housing bolts for "signs" someone has been "beating" on them.

I guess having the trans replaced in the 2016 already, the only good I can give it is that it is so new they replaced it with a new unit, not re-built. But then you have to wonder IF there is a design issue, I don't get the upgrade you might get with a rebuilt/upgraded unit......but I do get to postpone the trans fluid replacement sonce it was done for free with the replacement . So far the other forum I'm on for that Honda, there are about 9 people that have had their 9 speed trans replaced.....one member is having the second one replaced

Old 12-15-2016, 10:22 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Yeah, I kind of figured that I'd know IF someone was already in there when I have to remove it.
I'll have to check the mileage and see how soon it's due for an oil change, and work on getting some trans fluid. I've priced it at the dealer, and my local Car Quest (I talked to Mike and they're actually staying 1) has a quart on the shelf too. The dealer is only slightly cheaper (less than a buck a jug).