Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

F23 Turbo

Old 09-30-2011, 03:23 PM
Default F23 Turbo

Hey guys, relatively new to the forums. I have been researching how to turbo my 02 accord 4cyl se. My plan is to keep the boost low, I would be aiming for 200 to 250 and keep as my dd. The main issue is its auto. Right now so there are no standalone EMS for my app out there. So my current options are, swap the tranny to obd1 auto, grab a harness and chipped obd1 ecu. I have no desire to swap to a manual. Another avenue I am exploring is a dual ecu / pcm setup. Currently working with a couple guys on that one. The big question there is how to keep the factory pcm out of limp mode so that the transmission shifts normally, while the obd1 ecu controls the engine. Any one have experience with this, or insight on keeping the pcm out of limp mode? Possible ways to fool the pcm? What about piggybacks? I originally shelved the idea of piggybacks but for low boost could they work?

Old 09-30-2011, 03:42 PM

A guy that used to be active in this forum, KevinAccord, boosted his atomatic 00 LX a while back. I can't remember if he did any writeups, but I know he was successful. Search for posts by KevinAccord. He hasn't posted anything on the forum in over a year though

Old 09-30-2011, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by 00AccordLX5spd
A guy that used to be active in this forum, KevinAccord, boosted his atomatic 00 LX a while back. I can't remember if he did any writeups, but I know he was successful. Search for posts by KevinAccord. He hasn't posted anything on the forum in over a year though

Thanks guy. I thank I ran across some of his stuff a while ago. I ll send him a pm and see if I can pick anything up from his posts.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:53 PM
Supper Moderator

Don't expect your trans to last long. They can barley handle the power from vtec from the h22. Let alone over 200hp. If you want to go boost your better off with 5speed. Since your going turbo just swap to OBD1 much easier on your tuner too

Old 10-01-2011, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by g22cd5
Don't expect your trans to last long. They can barley handle the power from vtec from the h22. Let alone over 200hp. If you want to go boost your better off with 5speed. Since your going turbo just swap to OBD1 much easier on your tuner too
I agree. From what I have found they can handle 200 to 250 stock, and thats pushing it. I had found a rebuild kit from IPT (import performance transmissions) that could handle up to 400 hp. I think for my app the back up plan would be to swap in an obd1 auto, with a rebuild, and use an obd2b to obd1 harness from Rywire, Boomslang, etc... and an obd1 ecu / tcu.

For me the biggest concern is tunability, if the car cant be tuned then I wont mess with it. How do you feel about piggybacks? It seems they are coming out with more features, timing control, etc... On a low boost app could they work?

I just started thinking about the RDX pcm and was wondering if that would work, but I haven't looked anything about it.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:46 AM
Supper Moderator

if you swap to obd1 you can get a chipped ecu and have it tuned...

check out hamotorsports.com/ for ecus

Old 11-16-2011, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by g22cd5
if you swap to obd1 you can get a chipped ecu and have it tuned...

check out hamotorsports.com/ for ecus
That looks like the easiest for tunning, although in what way I get there is going to be the hard part. I have been working with a guy from rywire to see if its possible to have a dual ecu / pcm setup.

The one thing I was worried about when doing such an odd setup was getting a good ecu. I hate trouble shooting when I don't know if the parts are good or not. Are hamotorsports.com pretty reliable?

Old 11-17-2011, 01:56 PM
Supper Moderator

I have heard good things about them. But I have not bought from them yet. All my ecus I have got from other forum members on other sites. From what I remember the ecus are tested and rebuild or something like that.