Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Questions about boosting a 6th gen

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 10:04 PM
Default Questions about boosting a 6th gen

So I decided that I/H/E and those simple bolt ons weren’t going to be what I was looking for in my car. I was looking into the H22 swap or the head change, but I don’t think I’m going to be able to do that. So I have a whole bunch of questions about boosting a 2000 EX with a F23A4. I’ve heard that the F series can handle boost pretty well. Mine has 133,000 miles however. I’m not looking to do anything too extreme though. I want more horsepower, but I don’t need 200+. I’m looking at doing 6psi. (How do you set the psi on a turbo anyhow?) As you can see I’m a noob at turbo stuff. So with low boost and good maintenance will I be ok? This car is a daily driver and I don’t want it to leave me sit somewhere.
I was also thinking I could just get another F23A1 and use that for the boost and then have the original as a back up. Would I be able to just drop the A1 in place of the A4. Has anyone done this in here? Is there anything I’d need to change? Is the ECU programmed for U-LEV or will this matter? This is something I would really like to avoid though. If I could just use the engine that’s already in there that would be great.
Now that you know what I’m looking for, on to my questions about boosting. What needs to be done before boosting my car? Is there a reliable site to get turbos from or do you guys know if places like advance auto parts could order performance stuff like this. I’ve never done a turbo before so I don’t want to do a custom. I’ve heard it’s cheaper and you can get better gains from a custom, but I don’t think I could do it. I don’t have the tools I’d need either. It probably would not end up being reliable or tuned right. So I’m looking at purchasing a kit. Has anyone used one of these kits before? Are they worth it or are they just trouble or a rip off? I’m looking at the FMAX kit, but I can’t find a reliable place to buy. I don’t trust ebay with this much money so that’s out of the question. I’ve seen turbonetics, TSI and DRAG kits too. (Are the FMAX and turbonetics kit the same)? Would doing the kit be my best bet? Are there down sides to the kits? Do I need anything else besides what’s in the kit? They come with instructions right? Lol, I couldn’t find one that listed instructions, but I’d assume they’re in there. Has anyone used one of these kits or heard anything about them in particular. Which company has a good reputation?
Also I need this car to pass inspection and not have any lights come on when the turbo is in. I heard that a turbo could mess up your AC? Does this have any truth to it? It makes no sense to me… Remember safety, longevity, passing inspection and reliability are important here. Money is not as important, but I’m not trying to throw it away. HP gains are important, but I could live with 180 whp from this, that would be cool. Oh, and does it matter that the kit says it’s for the F23A1 and I have the F23A4? Answering any of my questions would be a great help. Thanks everyone. This site has some of the kits I was looking at.

http://www.turbokits.com/accord_turbo_kits.html

Old 10-25-2007, 11:55 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Questions about boosting a 6th gen

hey there, well, i have a 6th gen and it's turbo, set @ 6psi and it hasn't given me any problems whatsoever, I only read the first paragraph of what u wrote (sorry, it just looked way 2 much) but anything u need to know just ask... (shorter and 1 topic questions plz!) if ur looking to run 6 psi, don't worry about internals, they can handle that boost without prob, look for a tread about "how much psi" and the other one i can't remember but it had "boosting my F23" or something... look first, then if u have any doubt i'll answer... and so will the rest of the guys here... (a wrote a lot too!)
good luck and respond asap...

Old 10-25-2007, 11:58 PM

ok, i've just read some more, and i believe the rest of the guys will agree w/ me, a turbo will give ur car (@ 6 psi) about 210-220hp... that's a lot, if ur looking for 180hp... turbo is not such a goos idea... one thing though, once u go turbo, the rest of the cars u'll drive will feel way 2 slow... i would do it if i where u... ask J_Man_Honda... he's purchasing the stuff the needs ....

Old 10-26-2007, 09:38 AM

No tools of your own and no basic knowledge = bad things. Read, read, read, and then ask questions, then read some more.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:21 AM

ORIGINAL: BlkCurrantKord

No tools of your own and no basic knowledge = bad things. Read, read, read, and then ask questions, then read some more.
Agreed. Start out by buying a set of mechanics tools (Sears has good deals). Also jack & jack stands, etc.. Start doing all of your own maintenance work to get yourself accustomed to your engine and your car. Read up on it for like, a year or so. Then maybe you will be ready. You will also need help installing a turbo. I wouldn't try to go it alone on that one unless I were a very experienced mechanic.
just my $0.02

Old 10-26-2007, 10:32 AM

Before you even think about turboing and going out to look for parts. Do a compression test to make sure you motor is still in good shape. Which iam sure it is if you did all the nesscary maintence stuff. BUt still check. Also if you want to keep a f23a1 as back up you gonna need its ecu, becuase both ecu are different. Due to the ULEV certifaction. the motor should handle 6psi very safely, 8psi would be good as well. BUt you also want a turbokit thats just as realilable as your motor so go with name brand stuff.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:56 AM

Or you could just look for another ULEV as a back up.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:14 PM

Thanks for the responses. I've been doing some looking around and reading lots of things. I'll be searching these forums and some others and if I have more questions I'll come ask! So it sounds like you guys think the engine will be fine, soI think i'm going to go for it. I have a garage and basic tools and stuff, sorry if I made it sound like had nothing. What I dont have is like a welder or engine stand or metal bender or anything big like that. I'm looking to do this project after winter, since I'll have to save up some money, so I hope to have read up on it and be ready by then. I'm going to do the compression test and then go from there I guess. Thanks again and anything else you guys know that would be helpful to me would be awesome.

Old 10-27-2007, 05:41 PM

make sure u have a good fuel management system... post a list of what u think u should buy and we'll check them... good luck!

Old 11-21-2007, 06:25 PM

hey Kevin can you put some pics up please,,, i want to see your car and the turbo, thanx

Quick Reply: Questions about boosting a 6th gen