Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

turbo fuel management

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 08:01 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default turbo fuel management

ok, what im planning to do when i am setting up the turbo, or even before i set it up. I plan on putting an aem fuel rail, but im trying to figure out which would be better in the long run, changing the fpr, or just adding the fmu. Any suggestions?

Old 04-11-2006, 09:22 PM
Default RE: turbo fuel management

if you use just a FPR then you need to get a piggyback or stand alone engine managment. using the fmu allow you to use your stock computer which i would recommend. i feel bad for so many people that put so much time and money and blood into a honda turbo project, and it just never runs worth a damn because they jumped into a sophisticated engine management too quick

Old 04-11-2006, 09:26 PM

o yea and a wideband o2 sensor. and probably wouldnt be a bad idea to get a gm 2 bar map sensor too

Old 04-12-2006, 10:18 AM

Any suggestions on where to snag a 2bar map? At least one that is designed like the stock map, or do those not exist? The inital findings for the 2bar involved a vastly different map from the normal stock one.

And i see why you say the wideband o2 sensor, the purpose of it is just sexy.
I will assume there would be a need for two of them considering our happy little hondas have 2 o2 sensors, even though when i had the exhaust manifold changed, i have no idea where they moved that o2 sensor to. I am guessing they moved it down pre cat, and the second is post cat, but i need to look at that.

Any suggestion on brands for the o2?

Old 04-12-2006, 03:36 PM

i like the plx 500, and turbo xs has always been a good company. that stuff is serious though. i would really recommend just going with a basic setup until you get a real good grasp on your engine. i cant tune a fuel system. youll fix one flat spot/rish spot/lean spot on the map, and create another one somewhere else. you should add a good 1000 dollars in tuning time over at a good shop just to make sure that your engine runs recent. when you dont have a fully built motor with 20 or 30 psi running in it, it just doesnt make sense. you will get another 20 or 30 hp out of your motor when you do a full engine management setup, but the cost of the equipment plus the cost of the tuning time, you talking thousands for that little gain in hp. mbo turned a **** on his car and gained that much easily.

Old 04-12-2006, 05:03 PM

also one more thing.....when you have an all out motor. the problem will start being the ability to even produce enough boost. your motor just wont make 30 psi on stock tuning and fuel. youll be at the track with 104 octane and a 25 psi spring in your wastegate and on your run you were only making 18 psi, and you going to be like damn whats the deal. thats when you go to the airport and get 116 and take it to the shop and have them set a tune for that fuel that you can download when you hit the track with 20 gallons of 116, and then when your done, you download your map off your laptop for 92 ocatane that runs 13-15 psi for the street and drive home.

Old 04-12-2006, 08:24 PM

lol, oh trust me, i know that. I havent even touched the cost barrier for my project, hell, im going over 1000 dollars under what i planned on a turbo setup. But I plan on an ems and a full engine rebuild before I run over 8 psi of boost. After my turbos setup the next project is replacing the transmission with a manual that way i can have the thing survive for longer then a month.

Old 04-12-2006, 10:16 PM

I am ultimate just trying to find ways to skip a step without having to go all the way. I would prefer to limit the amount that I have to buy now and find myself having to resell later due to an upgrade. Examples the 12:1 fmu, the synapse map bypass, things like that plus...... not that im going to do this...... but what kind of volume do you need to have to have a second fuel pump feeding the system? By the way, theres no way I will ever take my car that far....

Old 04-13-2006, 06:47 AM

that missing link is like 50 bucks and the fmu is like 80, and they both are extremely salable. they definately have a salvage value. it would be crappy to have a turbo car that is slower than what you got now, like barely even moves slower. once you put a turbo in your car you are going to be so much more knowledgable about the whole thing. you would definately have no trouble finding a few people that would want to buy your used syanpse and your fmu if you decide not to use them anymore.

Old 04-13-2006, 12:01 PM

Yeah marbro, get those 2 things now as you will need them for a little while. As soon as you go ems, you won't, but untill then, your car won't run great at all. If the MAP senses boost, your car will go into limp mode and will run horribly. And without the fmu, your motor will starve for fuel like mine did. Plus, like light said, these parts are always in demand from someone, and if you buy them used on ebay or something, you'll probably be able to get what you paid for them.

Quick Reply: turbo fuel management