Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

cracked front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 05:36 PM
Default cracked front bumper

I was hit in a parking lot going going about 5 mph. After the incident i discovered a cracked front bumper. I am curious as to how much it would cost to repair or replace it. The situation is complicated because neither of us want to file with our insurance and I know the offending person. Basically I am just looking for a estimate of what it might cost for parts and labor. I actually don't mind the "cosmetic damage" but would like to have it replaced before anymore damage may be done.

Also is there any damage if I wait and do not immediately have this repaired?

I have a 2006 Honda Accord 4-door.

Thanks for any tips and suggestions

Old 01-26-2010, 06:12 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Assuming it was only 5mph and no damage beyond the bumper cover was done, you;ll be fine leaving it the way it is.

More than likely the cover will have to be replaced. Replacements can be cheap, but painting them is what costs the most.

It is easy to take off/put on a bumper cover. Youd save some money doing it yourself.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:04 PM

Thanks for the information, but if anyone has any idea of what the cost for repair/ replacement might be that would be helpful as I will not be atempting to do it myself.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Last time I had something like that done, it was between $400 - $500. That was a stupid bump in McD carryout. Repair & paint (with clearcoat). If it wasn't for the other guy's insurance I might have just left it alone.

Is yours cracked in a way that the crack might grow over time? Other than that, there's really no problem with leaving it alone.

What color? Daughter's Civic is silver, & that's really hard to match with spray-can paint. Considering you know the other driver, what's your tolerance for ugliness? Trying to paint it yourself, might make it uglier than it already is.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:28 PM

how big is the crack? you could always do some sanding and bondo work and if you do light paint coats, i mean like really light paint coats (dont let it drip) you can do a decient job yourself. diy is alot cheaper than taking it to a body and paint shop. the only thing is that you might now be able to match the pain exactly... but on the other hand neither can they. usually when you get a fresh coat of paint on just one particular item then you can usually tell the difference between jobs. if that makes any sence to you

Old 01-28-2010, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

After you get the estimates...you might want to consider repair.
It's only a 1/2 dozen bolts to get the bumper cover onto a bench.
IF it is just a straight crack you can use a soldering iron to "plastic Weld" from the back side of the bumper cover, while someone holds the crack in alignment. Then use touch up paint on the crack that is showing on the front.