Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

WAS Looking to buy a 2013 Accord, BUT...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 08:07 PM
Cool 2013 Accord Coupe EXL

Generally, I don't drive more than 12K miles a year between 2 cars, but due to work and life situations since I got the Accord in Nov 2012 I've got 4.5K on it and I love being in it. The navi is not always on point for locations in my metro area, but does quite well for foreign destinations. I haven't read the manual to see if it detects traffic, quickest distance, etc.

The car is very comfortable for a larger person and I have consistently come close to hitting the mpg numbers of 27/35 ( I got 25/34). I averaged 34 mpg on a recent 400 mile trip at 70-80 mph.

The stereo is amazing on the Ipod setting, not as good on the XM/FM setting, but still quite enjoyable.

The one major drawback will be fixed this week. The open sunroof creates too much noise whether in the tilt or open mode. I believe the sunroof deflector accessory will diminish the noise.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:09 AM
Administrator

wELCOME TO THE haf.. The sunroof deflecters do quiet down that wind noise a good bit..

Thank You for joining...

Old 02-07-2013, 09:21 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default My 2 cents.

IMO, I have not driven or even sat in a 2013 Accord. But most of whats on here is issues, and how to fix them. I have a 7.5 Gen 2007, and a 8th gen 2008. After driving both, i lean towards the 7.5 gen. Its smaller, faster, corners better..ect. Not that i want a sports car, but thats just "what i like" now the 8th gen is BIGGER, so if you want room ,thats the way to go. Handling is so-so.
I have heard nightmares about the navi, i dont have it in either of my accords. My 07 is a EX-L so it has everything but the V6, and Navi. As of today, all those options still work fine. In the 08 its a LX-P so not many options there...But less crap that will break down the line i guess.
We baught the 08 in 09 with 45k. Baught the 07 in 11 with 80k. Niether car has had half the problems that my fords & chevys had at that mileage. (or, have had any major problems at all)
I think honda makes a good car. Previously drove a 02 civic for 11 years and racked up 152k miles on it, and all i did was battery, alternator, oil, tires, brakes, wipers. I plan on keeping these accords till the tires fall off. Im just guessing, but if you want to keep a car a really long time, i'd stay away from the Navi, and the v6, but thats just my opinion. The v6 has been known to cause tranny problems way down the line, where the i4's dont seem to have that problem. The navi's are good for the 1st say 5-6 years, then have issues as they get older as with most electronics. Im guessing my 6 disc CD changer in the 07 will go, and when it does, i dont plan on replacing it.
I'd be interested in hearing peoples issues/likes with the 2013.
Have you considered a acura TL? maybe a used one off a lease? Just a thought...
Best of luck in your search.

Last edited by Scar_cle; 02-07-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:28 PM

Just passed my first 1000 miles today. All still good.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:46 PM
Default "useless junk"?

I just bought a new 2013 Honda LX Accord last week and would have to disagree on the useless junk statement, especially since the sticker price went up only $200 for about $1,200 worth of upgrades which is more than fair, especially considering it's a new model year plus what hasn't gone up in the last 5(?) years anyway.

Regardless, I've had no service issues with the car, especially the electronic technology as everything appears to work as it's suppose to, including the cell phone bluetooth technology. Granted, I really don't thin that I need the back-up camera and LCD monitor, how-ever, again, the cost of the car went up only $200, plus who knows...it might prevent me some day from backing up and over something I would hadn't seen otherwise, like a shopping cart, curb, bycycle etc etc.

IMO, it's a major improvement over the prior model, more spacious and more attractively designed plsu good gas mileage. Plus, the dealer threw in wheel well mud flaps, trunk/floor Honda mats, a spolier and pinstripes, plus knocked off $1,700 from the sticker price...Wow...how could I say no to that...plus 2 years of free oil changes and tire rotation...I'm ELATED!

Did I forget to mention the 2.2% simple interest for the 5 year payment plan too?
LOL!
--------------------------------------

Originally Posted by phantom699
the new accords... imo.. are just filled with a lot of useless junk half of the buyers are not interested in using. while the honda itself will work and last forever, i feel as if the goodies they stuffed in were poorly thought and failing prematurely.

if i was to buy a new car however, i would still look at pre owned. your buying from a dealer so it comes with a warranty of some sorts.. its clearly survived a few years..so it has more to come... and you can always upgrade/fix problems as they occur, instead of dishing out 30k.

* just act like your making payments whether you are or arnt, put aside 200-400 a month like your making payments so your ready to dish out when something goes wrong.

** you can buya 90's accord or civic for 500-2k.. and as long as the frames are rust free, you got plenty of years to come with minimal damage

Old 02-11-2013, 10:35 AM

If the decision will be between a Honda Accord and a Hyundai Sonata, then both cars are OK. The difference will be the "taste" of the driver about style, not so about the performance issue.

I have owned a Hyundai in the past and they are strong cars when performance is required. Having the opportunity to disassemble a complete Hyundai vehicle, I noticed that the engine, the transmission and several other parts like AC and Heat components, the audio system, the suspension, even the air bags, are built with good quality materials, they will last. Perhaps there are other components like molding, interior and accessories built with cheap materials, but as average, and for the price, still are good and acceptable.

If not because Hyundai is so complicated to repair when we talk about major repairs, I should be driving an Azera or something similar. But, I don't like Hyundai because it requires of an expensive scan tool and the setting of parts inside the engine are crazy, functional to last, but crazy if you want to repair one zone of it alone.

About style, the Honda enjoys better view thru the windows, while the Sonata has went too sport in style with the sedan model.

Even with the a huge powertrain warranty, Hyundai has also lots of complaints, and surely they fulfill their promises in most of the cases, but sometimes will cost you taking the vehicle several times to the dealer for the same problem.

Cars are machines and are not perfect, some will come out defective from the shop, there is no way to check which one until somebody drives it for a while.

In my case, I bought a Honda because between this brand and the rest (I took out Hyundai from the list already) the reliability, quality, price, etc, were the best option at that moment.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:39 PM

I own a 2013 Accord, 4 cyl./no nav. So far so good and happy with my purchase. Personally, you only need 4 cyl. vs. 6, plus it gives you more gas mileage.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:35 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I have only drove Chevys or GM products and I am going to make the cross over to Honda I know they are a well made car and will hold up, everything your reading about the new accord are just small bugs that will worked out I'm waiting for the Touring model and it will not be here until the middle of March don't be so stressed out about buying a new car or motocycle or whatever it is suppose to be fun

Old 02-18-2013, 09:02 PM

I have a 2013 Honda Accord EX 2.4L 6MT and I really like it a lot.

As far as I'm concerned the 2.4L has plenty enough power, but I'm usually alone when driving except occasionally with a passenger and about the heaviest thing I carry around is my four-ball bowling bag.

The only problem that I'm aware of at this time is the "History of Trip A" screen is hit or miss when saving data from previous trips. At this point, I'm not sure if it's me or the car, but I'm leaning toward a software issue.

The dealer offered to check it out, but I'm having too much fun driving it to let them hang on to it for half a day. They can check it out later.

The problem has been mentioned by other owners on other boards, I might add.

As fornavigation systems, I just can't see getting an OEM one when you can get state of the art devices for hardly more than $100 these days.

I've only had mine for 12 days, so I'm not saying nothing can go wrong, but so far, the new car has been a pure pleasure to drive.

Last edited by GradyPhilpott; 02-18-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:04 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Just make sure you purchase the Honda Care extended warranty (8 yrs - 120000 miles for $1200.00 or about) you will not have to worry about anything for some time. anything you buy these days have all these extras and repairs are so costly. Honda care best money you'll ever spend and only cost dollars over the loan. If you need a place for the honda care do a search you don't have to buy from the dealer you buy the car from do some research on it.

Quick Reply: WAS Looking to buy a 2013 Accord, BUT...