Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

are manual transmissions more reliable and cheaper than automatics?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 09:54 PM
Default are manual transmissions more reliable and cheaper than automatics?

generally, which one lasts longer?
and which one is cheaper to fix? (not the clutch, but the transmission itself)

Old 01-28-2007, 10:04 PM
Default RE: are manual transmissions more reliable and cheaper than automatics?

There's usually no upcharge for a manual transmission as far as purchacing a car. I've had to repair several automatics in my time but never a stick shift, not even a clutch. I'll hazard a guess and say that you could possibly buy a complete manual transmission for the price of a repair on one of the newer automatics.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:27 AM

Well so far I have 150,000 miles and I have a 5spd Accord. I have spent $200.00 to get a new master cylinder and that's it. In the pastI had a 5spd tracker that had 143,000 miles and I had to get a new clutch It costed me $700.00. My first car when I was in high school was an Oldsmobile Calai and it was automatic with 180,000 miles and it had to have it's transmission rebuilt. That costed $1,300.00. Which after this repair the car still jerked into gear and never road smoothly again.So from what I have experienced 5spd issomewhat cheaper. Allin all I think driving a 5spd is more fun. I also like seeing the reaction from male machinics when they are suprised that a woman would enjoy driving one.

Old 01-29-2007, 02:26 AM

many women drive 5 speeds
what's the master cylinder?

Old 01-29-2007, 02:33 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

No if and or buts......manual tranny last much longer and cheaper to fix

Old 01-29-2007, 09:49 AM

Where I live in nc I have found that machanics seem to be suprised that I like 5spd. I don't live in a big city but I do live in a more wealthy area and the normal cars for women around here are auto bmws, lexus, or audis. I live at Lake Norman. This is just something that I guess I have only experienced. But to answer your question the master cylinder is located near the fluid reserve. When it went bad my clutch would go down to the floor and not return to the normal position. I would have to take my hand and lift the clutch off the floor. Since the mater cylinder was replaced my clutch is working great.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:55 PM

for what ive seen a manual has the same potential of costing just as much to repair as an auto, but proper maintaining of both with last you forever..... sometimes.... its just some car manufacturers dont make the auto as strong as a manual and that is the main difference

manual you have the clutch and fly wheel that you get to and replace
auto you have the torque converter which is the clutch and flywheelyou just need to make sure you have fresh oil/trans oilin it otherwise it will break down just like any trans that has the oil in it for way beyond the suggested limit

but personally i think they cost about the same in the end because how you treat the car is what matters and defines how long parts will last

Old 01-30-2007, 01:25 AM

you are forgetting that auto tranny also have clutch packs inside the tranny which will wear down and need to be replaced ,, once that happens it is like a tranny overhaul or install a different tranny

trust me on this one I have seen it enough times ,, manual tranny is much cheaper to mantain

Old 02-03-2007, 04:01 PM

Yeah def for accords you want manual. I been hearing alot that the autos are real weak. PLus stick much more fun to drive. But i hate to be caught in trafffic with a stick.